Toys As Art Results

space.trucks

Will try to share up a view every day. This one is "Parlay on Hesparus" with Premier rivet ships, Golden Astronauts and Soma Star Rider figures. Surface painting from 2019. Pix next gets printed then altered with acrylics & pastel.

MEXQ3855.jpg.c50136d68c01d6cc6553ba34469aa0e9.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• space.trucks

• Andyman

• 6Stelab9

• Phil R

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/23/2020 at 5:33 PM, Andyman said:

Very cool. Looks like a saxophone player in the back though. 😉

Hey maybe we can work up a space band!

New York's Alright, If You Like Saxaphones

Pretty sure I showed the end result of this prior? but not the camera original. Titled "Horikawa Undersea War Rocket Playset, 1971" with (suspected) LP Toys produced simplifications of their "Undersea War Rocket" and dollar store fish + plants Assorted rocks. First filter toned then printed in B/W and painted over with acrylics & pastel, as shown in an installation view from our fall show alongside the "Yonezawa Rocket Car Fender-Bender Playset, 1966". Meant to have the painting spill out more over the borders but ran out of time to include them in a summer show.

IMG_3153.jpg.fd5bd3a27513fa50e1f999f37aa2cd4b.jpg

IMG_8686.jpg.64f940ba5e5195c877fec50753762b98.jpg

I'm workin on it  ;]  In the process of relocating (back) to a more aggressive market which is turning Yuppie Hipster. This one's for them, and it's called "Join Us" using those bizarre oversized MPC Space Supermen and a Swoppet.

IMG_1991.jpg.8631e8e52a1d98325becf8c22348a914.jpg

I'm about to start shopping projectors so I can beam the pix onto canvases to work from the outline tracings rather than painting on printouts like those above. I want to see this one at like 3x5 feet, big acrylic thing with surface texturing & optical paint effects. Coffee shops get the framed up printout versions. I'm totally riding this -- The toy forms instantly upped the figurative game beyond my current skill set and many work super as just photo images. Part of the move is to obtain a new studio space where I can have more control over lighting and make tabletop sized space dioramas with terrain & water. Man!

Like your War Rockets and anxious to see what you do with the  Parlay...   My favorite by far is the panel you did for Planet Unknown.  What are your sizes in the originals and prices?   I'm curious what your art training is as I've been an artist from advertising to fine arts and restoration my entire life. If you want to reply privately my email is redmanrestores@comcast.net

No title for this one, it just sort of "is". Figures from Operation Moon Base. I want to see it life sized, human scale.

IMG_8184.jpg.fba0967b1c51f621d5929d74917be826.jpg

6 minutes ago, Phil R said:

Like your War Rockets and anxious to see what you do with the  Parlay...   My favorite by far is the panel you did for Planet Unknown.  What are your sizes in the originals and prices?   I'm curious what your art training is as I've been an artist from advertising to fine arts and restoration my entire life. If you want to reply privately my email is redmanrestores@comcast.net

Hey right on Phil! I'm mostly self-taught but did go to school & took lots of media studies, sculpture, video/photo/performance along with painting but never took any technical painting, no anatomy etc. Took life drawing but not much beyond 2nd year and instead took quasi industrial design workshops, learning ceramics, wood, steel and plastics fabrication. Did mural sized installation works for a long time but got tired of having to rent trucks just to have a show. 2013 - 2018 was doing the whole "urban renewal via art" thing in a rust belt underdog city but got disillusioned and went private sector. About to relocate closer to work (and family) to further that end. Currently working as a curator for a corporate entity in Central New York and writing for Golden Artist Colors' residency program ... Tired of administrating other people's art (oh the joy! artists ....) and just want to make my own for a while. I tend to go conceptual and mix disciplines with an emphasis on technology: bit into photography deep on this new toy based approach as a way to "up" the rendering skills game by letting the camera do the drawing.

The toys also saved me from a pit of despair last year related to that disillusionment, and have enjoyed immersing myself in the culture of collecting to learn about the forms I'm utilizing which is what led me to Alphadrome. Last night driving a load to storage I finally was able to put my finger on what's drawn me to the vintage stuff: Has to do with the generic nature of Marx / Lido / LP Toys et al, and how those "at play" can project onto the forms without a set narrative construct surrounding them. After 1978 it's all Star Wars, and while Darth Vader is one of the coolest designs ever it can only be Darth Vader, where the Operation Moon Base guys in those Moon Suits can be anything. Drawing inspiration from pulp scifi traditions related to social satire or irony more than sleek artistic representations of possible future worlds.

Once the move is settled I'm intending to put together a web presence with an emphasis on sales which I can share up. Can't wait to have more time to work on this stuff! and a new studio to pursue ideas more fully than I can on my dresser top.

17 hours ago, space.trucks said:

The toys also saved me from a pit of despair last year related to that disillusionment, and have enjoyed immersing myself in the culture of collecting to learn about the forms I'm utilizing which is what led me to Alphadrome. Last night driving a load to storage I finally was able to put my finger on what's drawn me to the vintage stuff: Has to do with the generic nature of Marx / Lido / LP Toys et al, and how those "at play" can project onto the forms without a set narrative construct surrounding them. After 1978 it's all Star Wars, and while Darth Vader is one of the coolest designs ever it can only be Darth Vader, where the Operation Moon Base guys in those Moon Suits can be anything. Drawing inspiration from pulp scifi traditions related to social satire or irony more than sleek artistic representations of possible future worlds.

Once the move is settled I'm intending to put together a web presence with an emphasis on sales which I can share up. Can't wait to have more time to work on this stuff! and a new studio to pursue ideas more fully than I can on my dresser top.

I totally agree. Inspire the imagination without the established narrative. That's one of the reasons why I won't do commissions based on an already existing robot. What fun is that? 

"Octopus Hunt" was all I could think of for a title, using a Britain's Chariot wetsub, MPC sea life and plastic plants from the dollar store. Base and background are paintings from 2018, rock from a hiking trip. IMG_3286.jpg.21349b8476e0d9eb01446f4aeb23be7b.jpg

Theme for our winter show was Fish and I did three others, two of them starring a lead cast Manoil diver figure. Lower left image adapted for the show poster.

ARUE6394.JPG.6d6e98fa05208d0e6e0c39452fc96cd8.JPG

poster-11x17b.jpg.5029ae2473bbdef1ec463f5e453dacbf.jpg

The "No Fish Were Harmed" disclaimer added after an activist group promoting humane treatment of fish caught wind of my call sheet which invited artists to submit works depicting fishing as a sport or industry and the cooking & consumption of fish. Sadly they chose not to drive eight hours from Virginia to picket the opening.