Major Matt Mason Reclaimed

space.trucks

The extent of my childhood Major Matt Mason kit reclaimed. Just added a mint condition inflatable Space Survival Shelter with backpack, made damn sure it would inflate first, will make a video or something. Had picked up the figure last fall for a fiver, he has broken wires in at least his left arm and right leg but I can live with it. Obtained helmet and then a Cat Track, and I think that's all I had. Each of my brothers and I got a figure with Cat Track, same occasion and it was likely Christmas 1971 (four years old), younger brother had the red dude older brother the yellow. There was a young readers illustrated adventure book, at least one coloring book, I believe a record album with story booklet and a board game but no TV or radio show.

Great toy line but the figures have really shitty structural design with flexible metal armature that has a limited lifespan due to work hardening. Like bending a coat hanger, do it enough times and it breaks like a candy cane. My figure was missing his foot within a year & my dad literally carved a replacement from wood. He'd then lost an arm  by the time we parted ways in about 1978 so, we're good just seeing him again with his awesome tent. Kept that for years & bet it's still in an old box somewhere. Also made pix of my LP Toys mini-versions of his vehicle fleet, and just decided that I do need a working MMM Moon Crawler after all. Drive that thing across the gallery in front of a crowd as a performance art interlude during the Toys show opening. I'm so there.

IMG_4069.jpg

Got him wedged up between the Cat Track and box lid as he's top heavy with the pack. Black suspender straps = 1967 or later. The first run from 1966 had blue straps. I would have had a later dude so that's a match. He's even kind of trashed just like mine was ❤️

IMG_4078.jpg

Helmet with intact visor was the only real painful element to cough up for. Keeping it in a large medicine jar for safety.

IMG_9409.jpg

From assorted Imperial Toy Corp. "Apollo Moon Exploring" sets. All presumably LP Toys product.

IMG_9415.jpg

The only MMM vehicle I had as a kid.

IMG_9416.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

Definitely want a fullsized crawler and can see excusing another figure in more flexible condition to ride it. That's gonna be cool.

IMG_9418.jpg

IMG_9419.jpg

IMG_9420.jpg

IMG_9423.jpg

IMG_9434.jpg

zIMG_4074.jpg

I'm actually afraid to try bending him into position to ride it. All he has to do is stand there looking alert in pix. Will be pairing him up with Space Barbie for the Astronaut's Ball project in March. Then they can go space camping in the tent.

• 1 year later...

Matt Mason was my Favorite, along with Zeroids Robots and the Colorforms Outer Spacemen, hours were spent making up different adventures with these toys, Great Memories 

I loved my MMM, but even at eight years old, I could see that MMM's bendy construction had been rendered obsolete by G.I. Joe.  I could never under stand why they didn't change to joints like Joe's.

David.