3d printed Hopping Rosie the Robot.

robothut

This video is of the first 3 prototypes of the hopping Rosie the Robot. differences are in body scale, leg length and angle, spring tension and battery voltage "speed".

I need to find homes for these first 3 bots first. Then see if I feel like making more. And if so should it be the aggressive hopping leg angle or the more vertical angle ? Should it be the slower 3 volt system or the faster 4.5 volt system.

I love the slow thudding hop of the prototype. Though, I don’t know if the slower 3 volt system would be as cool in the lighter more streamlined version.

As for the two later builds, I definitely prefer the hop of the aggressive leg style and feel that even pitched at this more extreme angle, the Rosie is still aesthetically pleasing. I think the aggressive functions well with the faster 4.5 volt system and would probably keep that the same.

Just my thoughts. All are awesome.

Jeremy has asked for the Painted tall slower prototype #1 and Rich has asked for the fast aggressive prototype #3. Kirk has expressed an interest in #2. So now its time for me to make one for myself, the PLA I want too use should arrive today.

Very nice John, I'm a big Rosie fan. So, no way to create an actual 3-wheel version like the cartoon? What if the bottom pod that houses the wheels were broader and weighted...would it be stable enough?

How about this Hanna Barbera robot for future inspiration John? Uniblab.

I thought that Brian mentioned once some difficulty in achieving rounded 3D printed shapes. Would the head on Uniblab be a more difficult task due to its shape? 

It would certainly be fun to see your version of other robots from those vintage cartoons. Actually, now that I think about it, is Rosie the first automated 3D printed robot inspired by a cartoon character?  

Once again, I think you really hit the mark with Rosie.Just lovely.

A8904B8B-E83A-4C8E-8862-D87B05DA294B.jpeg.86447f71ad7f2fb32acde62af6a31956.jpeg

59EBD3A2-2E68-4C02-9F39-85453B6BE5C7.jpeg.06ccdbbe89493cc7732148927d15965a.jpeg

Tinplate 6, no real way to make it stable enough to not get broken at some point. Many have used the self balancing robot toys for there 3d printed versions of TV robots like Uniblab. A larger base and smaller body but now you do not look like the cartoon drawing much. There was a version of UniBlab in the TV cartoon show that had legs even, so a leg version could be possible with out going with the self balancing electronics.  Maybe a all metal "lead" base and a thin hollow body for rosie would stay upright when moving, but still do to the small base if it got pushed it would fall over and crack open like an egg most likely.

RoboDurby rounded shapes  can be 3d printed and are all the time. One might even use a resin printer for the rounded parts. Or just use a craft store round plastic ball shape cut down, no need to 3d print every part.

What if I designed the rosie robot to have a single leg and 3 wheels base part but made that part of a Floor section. Like the robot was standing on the floor and the floor is used to hold the robot upright. When it jumps the floor will move with it, but the rosie will look more like the cartoon at all times. I will play around with the idea.

I don’t know that it would work out with the hopper design. But, what about a 3 wheel base driving Rosie with a vacuum cleaner piece to help hold her up. Kind of like the Space Traveller and his suitcases.