Enlarged MPC Spaceman Clones with "Optical Faceplate" Helmets ... WTF??

space.trucks

01IMG_1905.jpg

What in God's name. I managed to land ten of these ("Vintage Space Figures, 1960s or 1970s" no other info), hoping they were the same type of space figures shown in the Hong Kong "Four Supermen Conquer the Moon" set, which has been one of my Holy Grail items. If they are the same, use of the term "Supermen" now makes sense. I have seen figures that looked similar offered by UK based vendors (cast in red, a lighter blue and white: will dig around to see if I saved pix of em) but had no idea they were so large. Are they of UK origin? And are there more than these four poses?? Total surprise and the kind I welcome. Would be very grateful to learn anything more about them.

02IMG_1909.jpg

It feels like they should have been this size all along.

03IMG_1919.jpg

All marked Hong Kong.

04IMG_1914.jpg

And they have these weird faceplates on their helmets which act as concaved lenses producing a visual distortion. And appear to have molded doll faces rather than painted on, and not all the same face either.

IMG_1918.jpg

Rope and Sextant Dude demonstrating my only complaint, which is that all but the Geiger Counter Guys have very poor balance and even they will knock over at the slightest table disturbance.

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

For size comparisons, with vintage MPC 5" and 6" Marx Apollo figure.

IMG_1922.jpg

With still unknown oversized Hing Fat style, maked China on base underside. I sense a connection here. As in, anonymously made enlarged versions of well-known basic space figures which surpass the original model in terms of complexity of form, artfulness, and fun factor.

IMG_1923.jpg

All are about three inches on the nose.

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

Both enlargements very well done. Will say it again, which is that after finally getting to handle them for a bit is that they feel like they should have been all along. SO much better realized as characters, both of em.

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

With their MPC marked 50mm counterparts. Slight variation on the rectangular pocket just above the waist at right.

IMG_2026.jpg

Slight variations on the rifle's lines but the proportions of the enlargement are perfect. Boot details as well.

IMG_2027.jpg

Variation on that pocket detail again.

IMG_2028.jpg

Again. 50mm does not have the boot notches.

xIMG_1936.jpg

Now in contention with the 4" Rex Mars set as my Ultimate Plastic Spacemen, with the Marx set edging out slightly because of their detachable helmets. These have a weirdness factor which sets them apart from everything else.

yIMG_1998.jpg

zIMG_1991.jpg

That one's going to be a painting. I like describing the toy forms as part of the materials used so, whatever light anyone can shed is most welcome.

I don't know the size of the Hong Kong Supermen figures, but it certainly looks like these are the same ones.  Hong Kong was referred to as the British Crown Colony of Hong Kong, but these figures have no UK pedigree. Like you say, they're great big Supermen. 

I guess now you've two Holy Grails - a blue and a grey set. 

On 12/1/2019 at 4:38 AM, Brian.. said:

I guess now you've two Holy Grails - a blue and a grey set. 

Am not exaggerating when saying that seeing that on the index (last April?) was electrifying. I had to have the set, so halfway there in just eight months. First order of business is to paint that Supermen card on an 10x14 canvas as a backdrop for them. Come to think of it, if these are same as the HK Supermen that was one huge card.

Very nice, I like your silver and blue astronaut figure additions! They are certainly great little standouts with their space helmets and clear visors.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran these past Paul Vreede and his conclusion is that they are likely unmarked Multiple Toymaker creations. Too precise in execution to be knockoffs. Still seeking further data including packaging.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, 6Stelab9 said:

This BIN listing might interest you.

s-l1600-1.jpg.404f9db2b8007c46e36d12e5540270af.jpg

I wonder if it's the original packaging as the trooper as no parachute whereas in this other BIN the trooper has one:

Holy Cats yes, that's very interesting, many thanks!! Will make do with the pix while figuring out what a suitable offer in dollar terms might be. Looks super creepy in white, knew I'd seen one before but don't recall the package. I think you're also correct on the packaging being re-used from a different toy they may have run out of. Can't see that pose being very aerodynamic but like that would stop anyone, but drat that no maker is named. Makes me think that maybe "Made In Hong Kong" should be a brand on its own. Whoever owned the factory is just a detail.

On 1/19/2020 at 4:57 PM, 6Stelab9 said:

same packaging for the figures: http://smallscaleworld.blogspot.com/2017/11/

and  this blog identified where the artwork came from:  a painting by Paul Rossi

1854165673_paulrossi.jpg.7ff4b92b219a89b0667f6350f7f8d43c.jpg

Brilliant search skills, Sir!! SSW is a winning blog. I wish I could paint space scenes like that. The above vendor has another listing with my boys which is somewhat more economical. Both items are in violation of my <$60 rule as listed ... May have to speak with the Mrs. about this.