Brian’s Mechanical Man up for grabs at Smith House

RoboDerby

I think that it is pretty cool and interesting to see Brian’s Mechanical Man listed in the upcoming Smith House Toy Auction. I wonder has anyone seen before a 3D printed robot listed in the Smith House Auction, or any auction for that matter? I am just curious if this might be the first time a 3D printed robot has been offered at auction like this, excluding eBay.

Holy Mo, that's flattering but rather alarming.  It's the first working robot that I made and I know that I can improve all the technical details of the build, but there's something charming about the simplicity of this build. I had the devil's own job getting a decent battery compartment into this. I also didn't know the trick to printing strong but light components. There won't be any more of this early style. I will revisit it, but it will be using resin technology. 

Autographs may be obtained from the author at a modest price. Please form an orderly queue. 😀

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

Holy Mo, that's flattering but rather alarming.

Was this the first that you heard of this Brian? Pretty cool for sure. Congratulations sir, of course. So, nobody has seen a 3D printed robot at auction before? Definitely worth noting if indeed this is the first time and certainly a bit of an honor to be the first 3D builder to make it to the “big time.” Looks like I joined Alphadrome just in time to say, I knew him when...😜

Yep, first I knew.

It's so difficult to buy from the States now that I hardly look at US auctions. It's not the auction houses; they're very fair compared to UK, but customs charges are punitive. And just try getting a metal space gun through customs.