RAD-ROTO-ROBOT conversion

robothut

So I took a Radical robot "chief robotman" repro and a Space Walk Man "Mr. D cell robot" and made this New Rad-Roto-Robot. The robot walks with Stop and rotate action. Lit and sounding chest guns, lit head dome and rotating ear scanners. There is a center light on the chest display that stays ON all the time as well. The battery door is magnetic and the power supply is two AA batteries. Side detail , a inside part that holds the head dome on and the battery box holder parts were 3d printed.

The bad part of the project was the Space walk man "Mr D cell " robot. I had not bought one in years and it is sad to see the quality has gone even further down hill. Never thought it be possible, but they found some ways. The leg linkage is wrong so the robot do not stand straight with out reworking the leg linkage. They do not walk all that well, walked OK on the desk by the computer but did not like the kitchen table for example. They have the plastic gears on the motor, the second flat gear and the gears that do the sequencing. But what took me by surprise was the dome light and gun lights are now LED's. Now that would be a good thing if they had put in the required current limiting resistor. these 3mm Red LEDs should never be pushed past the 20ma power range. With 3 volts and NO resistor the dome LED was running over 100ma and drawing down the battery supply. The LED will burn up and many times short out when run this way, could lead to some very hot wires in the factory robots that are built this way. So I added the required resistor for things to happy.

DSC05551.jpg

DSC05552.jpg

DSC05553.jpg

DSC05554.jpg

I see the robot did not make it safely threw USPS shipping. The ear scanners are not spinning and the robots right ear scanner is pushed all the way in, they both should be the same distance out from the head. The scanners are magnetically linked to a gear motor so try pushing in on the left ear scanner and pulling out on the right until things look balanced and then see if things work OK. I hate shipping toys, never seems to end well for the toys.

I wondered about that. I did notice its right antennae twitching here and there, but not spinning. I also noticed that the antennae had some play in and out. But, I didn’t want to fool with anything and risk messing something up. I’ll give it a look later this evening. Thanks John. I only wish that I lived close enough to the Hut to pick up the robots myself. Though, then you might have to load your shot gun with salt pellets just to keep me away. 😉