Unusual Lunar Module, Hong Kong: Salt/Pepper Shaker?

space.trucks

Not sure if this should be in Memorabilia cos I have no idea what it is beyond being styled after an Apollo Lunar Module. Parachute jumpers came with it but am not convinced they are related. Never seen the likes, if anyone recognizes or knows what its function was hit us up.

IMG_0296.jpg.2e4f34ec2c106a24edd658b18cb92b49.jpg

Forgot to set out a quarter for scale: Total size is like 4 inches tall, parachute guys are smaller 1.5 inchers. The "claws" under the landing pads look like they might clip to something? or be there to spike into the top of a cake as a decoration? Twisting the blue and green pieces on the top part does nothing I can see.

IMG_0297.jpg.f9b705e1376d431a5238445b6ebab8e9.jpg

Parachute guys do not fit in the "dish" cavity, so unless they were simply packaged with it as party favors I don't get the relationship. Ascent stage has Made In Hong Kong in front of the green part and the number two on the bottom side of the base. Opaque parts are softer plastic, clear section is hard plastic as are the parachute guys. Maybe there was a CSM which came with it marked number one for the salt? I like the ladder and antenna and am obsessed with LMs in general so, very pleased whatever the story be.

IMG_0299.jpg.18d27c0af93fa7274c218f55d867977c.jpg

Jumpers won't fit through the plug hole either. There's also no "shaker" outlet through the ascent stage, so whatever would be loaded into the dish part would only be released by pulling out the center plug.

IMG_0301.jpg.1593bc8edc0b37e14dbc39abe168148c.jpg

Don't have the thing with me to make another pix but there you can see the bottom of the "plug". Not sure what advantage there would be in releasing it as opposed to just taking the top part off to access whatever was meant to be inside, unless that was the point. Maybe a Tic Tac dispenser?? Or some other kind of confection you'd shake out one at a time. And why what look like gripper claws on the landing feet?

27 minutes ago, Andyman said:

They look like clips for wheels. A candy dispenser of some kind would be my first guess.

Excellent.

(Terminator Voice)

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Phil R said:

Great guess Andy.  it's a candy container. I've had this piece for years. It has a paper inside with ingredients.

*Like*  Thanks Phil!! Will have to think up a fix for the wheels. "You put yer weed in there" had come to mind lately. Just out of curiosity, how was the confection dispensed? Through the bottom or by taking off the upper section?

I've had a lot of glass candy containers over the years. many of them were made in Jeanette , PA  The Module was a no brainer to add to my space collection. Frankly, I don't think the candy was especially meant to be eaten. These were toys to play with and display.  I believe the bottom cap was the release point for the lander.  Many candy containers had screw off caps or wax cardboard inserts.