Mr. Atomic Jigsaw Blasts Off

mike van

I picked this jigsaw puzzle up [ebay of course] about 8.00, new, sealed in plastic. Almost finished, I have an extra orange piece, but there's one missing for his mid-section. So, I glued up the right thickness of thin cardboard & paper, traced it through the missing hole & cut it out with a punch & Xacto knife. My wife, [crafty painter, she is] painted the piece in place. Its one with part of a white dial in it, never find it unless you really are looking - And, a cherry frame, Mr. Atomic is headed for deep space - He's got to be one of my favorite robot shapes, just unique :D

post-2-1108945769.jpg

On the box it says over 500 Rodney - Patience is important - The end result is well worth the time - This is especially true collecting robots. We wait, we drive, always looking, hoping to find that elusive rare robot that no one else saw. :P

I remember seeing this puzzle at Toy Tokyo in Manhattan on Second Avenue. Not sure if they still have them in stock. That was maybe a year ago? :huh:

In 1984, Class Publications released a series of robot jigsaw puzzles. Colorforms did the same thing in 1986. Both used photographs by Douglass Grimmett & Chuck Carlton. Their photos were created for robot calendars produced by Workman Publishing in 1985 and again in 1986.

An eBay search for "robot puzzle" and "robot calendar" will eventually turn these up.

• Brian.. changed the title to Mr. Atomic Jigsaw Blasts Off

Archived