3d printed ASTRO "ASTO" Robot. Scale repro

robothut

Ok first if you have not all ready checked out the vintage robot thread on Asto - Robot here is the link.

The 3d printed version I have made is too scale. I have added a few features, like swinging arms and alternately flashing Razer Gun Lights. The top red dome stays lit. Walks Forward and backward with the same action as the original robot toy.

The prototype is painted PLA plastic , if I make more they will be printed in colored plastic so that I will not have to try and paint parts in my shop where it is all ready below freezing. 

Once I get back the Video camera from the grand kids I will shoot a video for the prototype robot in action. So check back for that.

DSC05430.jpg

DSC05431.jpg

DSC05432.jpg

DSC05433.jpg

DSC05434.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robothut

• RoboDerby

• ROBODUDE

• Martian Gil

The base is held on to the main body with 6 screws. The motor and first set of cams go in first. Then the inside legs. You can see the flasher cam lobes and the flasher switch as well.

DSC05416.jpg

DSC05417.jpg

DSC05424.jpg

DSC05425.jpg

With the second set of leg cams in place and the outside legs in place you then add the top gear box cap to hold it all together and provide the proper tipping point for the legs. in the bottom picture you can see the added levers to the outside legs. These will contact the levers on the arms to provide movement.

DSC05426.jpg

DSC05427.jpg

Here are the arms and chest detail parts. Also since I did not have blue filament for the prototype I just printed the Prototype body in white and spray painted it. The finnal build body will be a 3 color print.

DSC05422.jpg

DSC05423.jpg

Here is a inside picture of the body. You can see the arm levers that get moved by some Leg levers . The translucent red dome that lights up was not pictured as I forgot to take one before gluing it in place.

DSC05429.jpg

I can not do a side by side of the 3d printed robot and the original as Stan wanted it sent back. But it should be the same scale. So next I will post the demo video, once I get the camera back from the kids.

Any one want to MOD the front box art image to say ASTRO and remove the made in japan and other logos, so there could be a modified box art for this 3d printed robot project ? The camera file I have is around 3 meg so should be OK to email.

Hello John, I am also interested to buy one, if you start to produce them. Count me in for one, please.

Could you also do a different paint job, like silver or blue metallic or even green ?

As for different color robot builds. I can do it but it will cost you more as I have used up most of my PLA filament. So if every one wants the same colors then the cost per robot will be lower, but if you want custom colors then your cost will be more as I will have to buy that color plastic. Its just money and what you want. Most anything can be done. Right now I just have Basic Blue, White, Red and Yellow on order. And will test the STL files with those colors first to make sure all things that I wanted changed got changed and work right.