Robot Hutch Unveiled!

RoboDerby

I think that it should be no secret that I am a fan of artists and members who create their own robots. It is a thrill for me to have pieces from Brian, John, Andy, and Marco in my collection and it is an honor and my privilege to support these artists and builders.

Though all mentioned continue to produce creations of sheer wonder, all to be admired in their own right, it is hard to argue that John Rigg is likely the most prolific, non stop roboteer out there. I am fascinated and inspired by John’s 3D printed creations as well as by his customs and repro conversions from years past. John’s body of work and sheer number of projects is absolutely astounding. Furthermore, John’s willingness to share his knowledge, designs, and builds with others is all the more commendable.

I think the community is very lucky to have folks like John, Brian, Andy, and Marco who continue to keep the hobby fresh and exciting through their contributions.

All this noted, I have been working the past few months to build my John Rigg/ Robot Hut collection and I am pleased to share my first completed “Robot Hutch”. At this point, I even have a few overflow pieces in a second cabinet with more of John’s work on the way.

As it may be apparent to keen members where some of these pieces may have come from, I would like to thank Paul, Ozzy, Don, Kirk, and Mark for making many of these pieces available to me and thus helping me build this lovely collection. Of course, greatest of thanks to John for all of his work and for the robots that I have been lucky enough to acquire from you directly.

Here are photos of a selection of John’s work as it is currently displayed in my “Robot Hutch”.

I’d still love to add one of John’s 3D printed Mexican robots. If anyone can help out in this regard, please send me a message.

26353E4E-6AAF-4679-944D-7627EC272D41.jpeg.c6f931d387664d9a591ef98bef4b8e4d.jpeg42908D64-A1BA-4806-97D0-4475E44125D6.jpeg.eeb7a7fc20e59c1a48b5f7a6bb4108e5.jpeg3D2E861C-B84D-4E43-AFF3-EED7A755E10B.jpeg.3825ebb2d2c08cf0524981fb46fc1a62.jpeg0703F251-2A58-4738-8C3F-9F54E2B66414.jpeg.4ad737db69406b39acb7ab2062c785f0.jpegEB07B37F-DA93-435D-BFB7-B9BA9601D325.jpeg.8adee6b69b04ee81e7e1aa9ccd4acb0a.jpeg

Of the recent additions to my Robot Hutch, my two favorites, should I be pressed to choose, are John’s Jaggernaut and his Bobby Robot.

The Jaggernaut is as fun as it gets in regards to its talking action, light effects, and absolutely impressive walking function. Also, it is a beautiful design and build all around, a real jewel in the collection.

As for the Bobby, I literally swooned upon firing him up for the first time. I have absolutely fallen in love with this handsome, sharp looking robot with its color changing flashing lights, its beeping sound effect, and its brilliant automation. 

Here are videos that I made of the Jaggernaut and Bobby in action. 

Then, of course there is this beauty. So pleased to add another Rigg/ Oz collaboration to my collection.  A fantastic idea and an amazing robot, I consider myself very lucky to have this one in my cabinet, prototype 1 no less. 

As impressive as that collection is, and it is, one could never have a complete collection of John Rigg robots. Too many one offs. I have quite a few of Mr. Rigg's masterpieces and I treasure them all. Jaggernaut and Robot Commando Jr. are my favorites. Although the custom blue, glow in the dark, beer swilling "Alph-Rama" comes in a close second.

The Oz/Rigg Mrs, Radicon is sublime retro-futurism. I regret not jumping in on that one.

5 hours ago, Andyman said:

Although the custom blue, glow in the dark, beer swilling "Alph-Rama" comes in a close second.

So many great Rigg treasures out there. The glow in the dark Alpharamas are awesome! I don’t have one myself. But I have seen them in the threads or in one of John’s videos and I definitely wish that I had one. Too cool Andy!

My guess would be that Ozzie likely has us all beat when it comes to Rigg collections, especially in regards to pre 3D print, one offs. Lucky ol’ Oz!