Major Matt Mason "Space Convoy" Vinyl Playmat with Craters

space.trucks

(Hope this is the right place to post this?) I had a very basic MMM kit as a kid, long since lost, never included anything like this or I would have slept on it. Wasn't searching for MMM goods either but am about ready to after seeing this. Heavy duty vinyl, 1966. Just, My God.

mmm-mat1.jpg.420c8096f2de8f4c70552a8b8498e998.jpg

Incredible. I love how you can move the craters around via snap heads on the mat, and the hand painting strokes on their sides is joyful to see.

Messaged the seller & got an OK to show the pix around. More in blog form here:
https://spacetrucks.blogspot.com/2019/08/major-matt-mason-vinyl-playset-playmat.html

Great find....I like it.

That is funny...I was thinking of creating a Moon 🚀🌔 diorama myself...Somebody on youtube made one out of machine cut foam.

Used some image of the moon surface and was somehow translated into height data for the tool.

anyway, I want to display my Zeroid robots, maybe others on a moon surface diorama....maybe embedded LED lights, too in craters?:scratchhead:

Oh go for it! I've been collecting interestingly shaped rocks + slabs of cement & painting some of them with gel medium for a glossy look. Makes all the difference in the world to pose the pieces with terrain. I like the dynamic lighting idea too! and so wish I could afford this. Build up a grownup MMM set around it. I want my inflatable tent back!

Wow, for a piece of vinyl from 1966 that is in killer shape. Is Major Matt Mason just a toy line or was there any form of media featuring him?

On 8/5/2019 at 11:44 PM, Blaze Atoms said:

Wow, for a piece of vinyl from 1966 that is in killer shape. Is Major Matt Mason just a toy line or was there any form of media featuring him?

According to the wiki one book. There may also have been a coloring book or two + a couple of short "comic book" pamphlets included with the more elaborate MMM sets, or I recall encountering such online while searching for other things. But at the time they were being manufactured I do not think there was any TV or radio beyond advertising. The line lasted long enough for my parents to get each of their three brats a figure + basic accessories pack round about 1971, when I would have been four ... One of the legs on mine came off at the knee and my dad surprised me with hand-carved wood replacement that was a perfect match. Would give almost anything to find it again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Matt_Mason

Colorforms Spacemen were also a result of his popularity though in all honesty I just don't "get" them & was not aware of the line as a child. Impressed by the story of how they came to be, but other then the girl ❤️ just don't get what they were after. I think you had to live in NYC or LA to even see them in stores. MMM was everywhere Mattel was and probably only killed off at last by GI Joe when he got that Kung-Fu grip.

--> That foam moon surface idea is GENIUS!!! even got a slab of it at my studio, pink but it'll do to get started. Many thanks for the looksee! :thumbs: