Marx Space Ship Recasts/Bootlegs from Mexico

space.trucks

Wow, those color are bright! It reminds me of the sand molds that were sold when I was a kid...you took them to the beach and made molds of sea creatures and shells.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought it might be of interest; earlier today mint condition metallic plastic cast originals of the "Double Gun" (in orange/bronze) and "Clamshell" (green) ships auctioned for $200 and $100 respectively, did not investigate if they were scored by the same buyer but wouldn't be surprised. At first listing I'd had my foot in the ring on the clamshell very briefly. Like for about twenty minutes   :D  and just watched in expectant awe after that. A smaller group of the recasts above with some ships in swapped colors did surface last week as well & was snapped up almost instantly as a Buy It Now ... Would love a metallic "Twin Fuselage" someday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been finding older posts from this year I'm responding to. I have some of these soft plastic rockets that are about 3" inches give or take. I also have some in the earlier hard plastic. The silver and burgundy metallic in the back are the hard plastic.

P1300015.JPG

5 hours ago, Phil R said:

I've been finding older posts from this year I'm responding to. I have some of these soft plastic rockets that are about 3" inches give or take. I also have some in the earlier hard plastic. The silver and burgundy metallic in the back are the hard plastic.

P1300015.JPG

Your display case game is very strong. I yearn for the day when I can be competitive on scoring a metallic clamshell ship. Glad to see someone else likes the space ship whistles too. Many thanks for the look!!

On 8/15/2019 at 8:57 AM, JC Carbonel said:

Very intersting. How big they are ? They look about 10 cm long ?

JCC

Wow JCC sorry I missed this question in August! Each is about 4 inches long so yeah about 10cm, I think there may be a pix with ruler on the blog post. They are the same size as the hard metallic plastic versions shown in the Space Ships index. Make a nice sub-collection with the Rex Mars recast figures obtained recently.

I got a set of these Mexican bootlegs. I love the classic designs but for a hard plastic collector the garish colors and the soft plastic are total passion killers. I've consigned them to the drawer of doom. I believe that the later Rex Mars spaceship is also soft plastic, but not such a kitch color.

• 2 months later...

Brian I will gladly take em off your hands at cost (and a fiver for your time) + shipping to USA if you're game to part with them.

The Marx pieces look superb, especially the way that you have displayed them, Les.

Hard plastic spaceships have been one of my longest enduring collecting addictions. Even in the early days when I was robot obsessed I just couldn't part with the hard plastic spaceships. I was fortunate to be dealing alongside Lester Harrison, the hard plastic space toy expert who once worked at the Tudor Rose Rosedale factory. 

Those soft plastic horrors are just there for reference, Steve. You shouldn't have too much trouble sourcing a Mexican set at a fair price - they turn up regularly. You could buy your mother-in-law a set as well. 

Spider Lady seems to have an inexhaustible supply of goodies. He has the sense to release the best pieces slowly but I'd love to know what stock he's sitting on. I'd also love to know if he has access to plastic injection machinery!

Good with the group I have & enjoy them as photo subjects. Decent retrofuturist kitsch.

But if anyone's neons are unwelcome dead weight I'd take them just to use in my art. Like *in* the art, as 3d elements on a sculpted planet surface with space stuff. Maybe even painted to hide the dayglow. Perfect use.

• 1 month later...