Feet:Question About Feet!

larry seven

:) I've picked up a couple of used Busy Cart Robots lately, one each with each foot style, and I wonder which came first, the regular feet or the truncated feet? Has there ever been any discussion on this subject, and have there been any other SH robots with the truncated feet? I haven't recieved either robot in the mail yet, I will post pics when I get them. Thanks, -Larry

Good question(s), Larry.

The Fork Lift Robot, also by Horikawa, appears to have the same truncated feet. This may have something to do with the two variations of Busy Cart.

The description of Busy Cart in the Sotheby's/Griffith catalog states, in part "...when in operation the hard-working robot walks forward, stops, raises wheelbarrow, jostles around the wheelbarrow, then lowers and repeats...". What exactly does "jostles around the wheelbarrow" mean? Do the arms continue to move up and down? Or, is there more to it?

Your photos should be very interesting.

Larry your post is a little confusing. Let's think about it in these terms,

Mr Mercury style and standard horikawa feet.

I think the long Mr Mercury type feet were needed for the Forklift robot, so he would not topple over and in typical Horikawa mix and matching these long feet ended up on some Busy cart robots too. Almost all Horikawa robots have the standard short feet.

If you want to get into Horikawa feet variations you can look for the plastic ones, the ones with offset wheels and some have a more angled shape (less rounded on top).

I am sure there are plenty more if you look.

If you are into collecting slight variations like this Horikawa would be the hardest company to complete, I really doubt anyone owns a complete Horikawa collection.

:) Yes, good point, plasticaugie. I was just wondering if the Busy Cart was first sold with regular feet, but maybe there was a serious reason to make the feet flatter and longer on later pressings. How rare is the Forklift Robot? I've seen it on people's want list, but I've never seen one out for sale. Thanks, -Larry

I would'nt say that it is rare Larry, but it is deffinately uncommon and probably the brings the most money of all the mass produced Horikawas. People like to say the Space Commander is the rarest, most desirable Horikawa etc., but if you look at the recent sales the Forklift out preforms it every time (at least when I see them sold).

• Brian.. changed the title to Feet:Question About Feet!

Archived