Mr. Atom Help

detroittvguy

I am working on a Mr. Atom for a friend and need some help. Mr. Atom takes three D cell batteries. Unfortunately the battery cover is missing. Is there anyone who can tell me from what battery terminals to run jumpers to make him operate? The battery compartment is labelled, from left to right, DOWN, UP, DOWN, plus there is another electrical connection above the middle UP battery. Any help would be appreciated.

IPB Image

Thought maybe a photograph might help. Above the center battery chamber there is a rivet. This is an electrical contact point. I would like to know where to run the jumper wires to make him work.

Thanks Dirk, that is actually my Mr. Atom that Detroit TV Guy is repairing for me. I love it when robots come back to life.

I was looking around town for a hair care product that supposedly exists that has a perfect replacement bubble dome, when TV Guy found a nice one for 50 cents in a toy capsule dispenser. It seems like it will work fine, but it is a little too small to be a perfect fit. That's okay with me though, this Mr. Atom was a great deal, completely non-working. The capsule probably saves me $100 and the bubble totally makes this robot for me. Has any one else done this with a Mr. Atom? What did you use?

TV Guy, please post a pic when you get him together! Thanks!

CAMPY CRAIG, some years ago we had a talk with HENK about those MR. ATOM bubble eyes / dome. HENK told us he would just blow it from some kind of juicystyrolpoisonplastic or some other BASFBAYERLEVERKUSENGLIBBER like that. It seems he is able to create the strangest things you could even imagine ... MR. FRHENKENSTONE please...Uuuaargghh

I was able to make a perfect Mr Atom Dome using a Vacuform machine

and an existing dome from a small Robot from my junk box.

It's the one that looks like R2D2 and has the functions of Mr. Mercury.

It is only about 4 inches tall.

the dome can come off and after you are done, put back on the toy.

I used a flat Vacuform mold plate (the one used for letters and numbers)

and cut holes in the platform so the dome would fit flush.

I used the only Clear Vacuform sheet I had left and it worked.

Now someone makes Clear Sheets that fit the Vacuform machine.

The Dome and Battery cover are the most missing things on this toy.

CRAMPY CRAIG, some years ago we had a talk with HENK about those MR. ATOM bubble eyes / dome.

By the way Dirk, that's "CAMPY Craig," not "CRAMPY." At 36 I'm still pretty spry.

I appreciate the info on Mr. Atom. What a great (literally) piece of plastic. I thought he would fit in nicely with my Electric Robot and Robert, I had no idea that he TOWERS over them! Definitely the tallest robot in this house.

Here's the robot that SH Mike is talking about.

I found this guy at Toys-aren't-Us about 5 years

ago for $4.95 . This is actually a cool little bot...

IPB Image

RIGHT, you take that dome off and use it as a mold only.

The Vacuform Sheet is the same thickness as the original.

I have not tried to make Eyes yet, becasuse all mine are flat

but some kind of ball would do the trick if it was cut in half first.

maybe a small superball ? ? ?

RIGHT, you take that dome off and use it as a mold only.

Yeah, I'm just kidding. Anyway, I think I'm happy with the bubble gum machine dome. Luckily he has the eyes.

Detroittvguy: I found a dome for mine at a large local hobbie shop. I forget the name of the manufacturer. You can order 2 in a package at about $1.50 for the 2. If I remember right these can be ordered in different sizes. The one I ordered has to have a rubber band around the base to snug it up. Also are you aware of the need for O rings around the ears and around the posts for the arms. They hold the body together in conjunction with the nut in its chest and back.

Good luck on the repairs.

Archived