Awesome gifted R2D2

RoboDerby

I’m not one to swoon over Star Wars stuff. But, I absolutely love my new 1978 R2D2 that was thoughtfully sent as a gift by some dear friends whose wedding I recently photographed. They had been threatening to pay me which I was really not comfortable with. However, after hearing of my new interest in vintage robot toys, they gifted me this instead. I don’t think that it operates and it has its flaws. But, it was a longtime treasured possession of the bride and now it shall be treasured by me as well. Such a special addition to my collection. One interesting thing about it. Though the battery box was apparently designed to fit 2 cylindrical batteries, not sure of the size, it actually arrived wired to a 9 volt battery floating loosely in the compartment.

EA8F50E2-BB11-4568-9545-05120C7BEF2E.jpeg

I  like the robots of Star Wars...I like the 1st movie. It was magical..

So nice of her to send you that.

Your friends seem to be hamming it up in the photo.

Looks like a cheerful time.

13 minutes ago, Golddalek said:

I  like the robots of Star Wars...I like the 1st movie. It was magical..

So nice of her to send you that.

Your friends seem to be hamming it up in the photo.

Looks like a cheerful time.

The bride is actually a roller derby player whose derby name is R2Death2. So, this toy replica of her “namesake” which she owned for many years, clearly was not easy for her to pass along. Such a special gift.

11 hours ago, 6Stelab9 said:

Great robot. I think it's the 1978 radio-controlled R2D2

Nice! Thanks for sharing the video 6Stelab9. She didn’t send a controller. But, either way. Still a lovely sentiment and gift.

Archived