Co-Ma Astrale Date - 1954

Brian..

Those Spanish archives throw up some interesting facts. The Astrale gun, currently dated to a 1964  Co-Ma catalogue, was around as early as 1954. The design was registered much earlier than I imagined. Spain produced their own versions of a number of guns from other countries. The registrant was José Maria Aragonés Fontanet, a fact that might help tie this into a toy company.

Publication number: I0022185   (16.06.1954)

astrale.jpg

Brian, IMO the one in the image above is the "Marziana", not the "Astrale". And AAMOF, there exists a Spanish verison of it, the "Marciana"...

marciano.jpg.56395f2fcae75057ba082086fd5b1855 copia.jpg

...that now I saw that was originally published by you... :biggrin:

Yes, you're right. I have an example of the Spanish version. 

We're dealing with Spanish copies of Italian guns. There are many examples of US and English designs being resistered in Spain. The Tudor Rose gun and Lido spacemen, for examplre.

I think the similarity of the Astale and Marziana would give them the same 1954 or earlier date.

So now we have a firm date for that Spanish version and if we can tie José Maria Aragonés Fontanet of Barcelona in to other toys then we have a maker. 

On this, as for the CoMa Spacemen, at this point I'm really curious to know if they are bootleg copies or "franchised" ones.

In the case of the MarCiana vs MarZiana, at least it appears that the mold (if it was the same one) was modified between the two productions.

• 2 weeks later...

Which model is this? It popped up yesterday with a starting bid of $99 and of course was sold soon after for many times that amount. I don't remember seeing this model before. Is it missing any pieces?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Water-Gun-Pistol-Toy-Vintage-Italy-Plastic-RARE-Coma-Era-Pistola-Acqua-/293004395072?nma=true&si=5SkA9Ae%2BF5nnRG7hbmYrqBYfhB4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600 (1).jpg

It's a lovely piece. Co-Ma marked their guns, so I don't think it's one of theirs. Difficult to add to the database: no name, no maker, no date, probably Italian. I want one, though!

I can't see anything obviously missing. The trigger has a distinctive guide arm that may help identify the maker. Has that barrel been reglued?  

I am happy to say that I bought it.  I have never seen this one before.  I think it will clean up nicely.  I'll post better photos when I get it.

I knew it wasn't going to last long.Congrats Richard. Let us know all about it when you get it. Don't some of these have space scenes visible through the sight? I wonder if this has one?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay.  Here are some photos of this odd yet wonderful space gun.  I don't think it was made by Coma.  Definitely made in Europe.  Not as refined as a Coma gun but the design makes up for it.  Obviously influenced by the Coma Marziana.  The rings on the barrel are shallow compared to the Marziana but the progression of the barrel from narrow to wide is quite nice.  The trigger and trigger guard are similar to the Marziana along with the whistle in the back.  The rest of the design elements are quite different.  Kind of crudely put together but has a great look.  It's definitely a keeper.Coma Red A1.jpg

Archived