Anything New from the Hayes Robot Works?

Tinplate6

Brian,

It's a new year, and the posts from across the pond have been scarce. Are there any new projects coming out this year from HRW?

I was overwhelmed with orders for the Diamond Planet, Brady, and all of my time has been spent making them. I've had no time to work on anything new. It's fun but I'd like a break. 

I enjoy the B Movie robots and last year I added a third robot to the Republic/Doctor Satan robots - the ones that looks like water heaters. This is the Undersea Kingdom version. It will need a decent paint job to do it justice. I'll post a picture once I've finished it. 

I'd like to improve the boxes this year. The Diamond Planet has a box that I'm happy with and I'd like to produce more like it. I found a print shop that can do the artwork at a fair price. 

68e2a1dfe237555c4ea5db8c7dd2cf7b_5bba1c9f-b752-458d-995b-a71da495e0cb.jpgu-g-F51GF70.jpg

ef33deafa4c119ef29354fdb77f093be.jpg

Star Trek 'Elite force', 1996 game has that robot as an optional character...I use to play it 10 yrs ago on someone's server.

I called him 'Oily Robot'. 😍👌

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:51 PM, Brian.. said:

I was overwhelmed with orders for the Diamond Planet, Brady, and all of my time has been spent making them. I've had no time to work on anything new. It's fun but I'd like a break. 

I enjoy the B Movie robots and last year I added a third robot to the Republic/Doctor Satan robots - the ones that looks like water heaters. This is the Undersea Kingdom version. It will need a decent paint job to do it justice. I'll post a picture once I've finished it. 

I'd like to improve the boxes this year. The Diamond Planet has a box that I'm happy with and I'd like to produce more like it. I found a print shop that can do the artwork at a fair price. 

68e2a1dfe237555c4ea5db8c7dd2cf7b_5bba1c9f-b752-458d-995b-a71da495e0cb.jpgu-g-F51GF70.jpg

ef33deafa4c119ef29354fdb77f093be.jpg

Anything new on this guy Brian ???

I've finally finished all of the Diamonds. A lovely build, quick and reliable to make.  I've had a few back orders for Aviators, Dynamos and Houdinis that are on the go. It's amazing how quickly I forget how I assembled them. 

The Undersea Kingdom is printed and walking, but I'm hopeless at the spray painting stage. I want to get a decent zig zag pattern. I need to mask the areas properly and I'm struggling. 

Meanwhile (my usual distraction technique) I've been playing with some other ideas:

The Mighty 8 Robot is definitely on the cards but I will be looking at a smaller version than the original. I just can't abide printing great big bricks of plastic. The full sized body took nearly 24 hours to print, and after two failures I decided to stick with my smaller Mighty-ish version. The kaleidoscope part is coming along slowly but steadily. It has to be reliable and easy to assemble - and how do you print colour wheels and black plastic screens? 

A friend over on this side of the pond has asked me to take a look at a British classic robot (What? A British robot? ) Yes, there is one, but it's a little lead fellow, the Suitcase Robot.  It's a very easy shape, but it has the shortest of legs - it's the Toulouse Lautrec of robots, a little short-arsed fellow that oozes charm. Probably one for the Brits, but who knows? It's at the CAD stage and I'm trying to get it as complete as possible before I start to print. I don't know how it will walk. It should be a laugh, though. 

Yes, I have a butterfly mind, but this is for fun, not a business. 

suitcase.jpg

You are so right Brian, once I finish a build if I have to do another a few weeks later I have to learn the build  all over again, that's why I plan to do builds then just move on, if you snooz you lose.

As for printing the color wheels and black masks, I have do this many time on my builds in the past. They sell clear plastic sheets just for ink jet printing. Some brands work better than others so it will experiment time. then clear coat the print so that it is water proof and does not scratch. I always made sure that the printed side did not rub on anything when doing rotating parts.

Brian,

if this turns out to be a walker, perhaps you could have a dual power switch on him - like your aviator.   

Great to see some sort of search light or similar beam from his eye.   would his head turn? 

Excited about this guy.   :cheers:

On 2/7/2019 at 10:48 PM, Brian.. said:

I've finally finished all of the Diamonds. A lovely build, quick and reliable to make.  I've had a few back orders for Aviators, Dynamos and Houdinis that are on the go. It's amazing how quickly I forget how I assembled them. 

The Undersea Kingdom is printed and walking, but I'm hopeless at the spray painting stage. I want to get a decent zig zag pattern. I need to mask the areas properly and I'm struggling. 

Meanwhile (my usual distraction technique) I've been playing with some other ideas:

The Mighty 8 Robot is definitely on the cards but I will be looking at a smaller version than the original. I just can't abide printing great big bricks of plastic. The full sized body took nearly 24 hours to print, and after two failures I decided to stick with my smaller Mighty-ish version. The kaleidoscope part is coming along slowly but steadily. It has to be reliable and easy to assemble - and how do you print colour wheels and black plastic screens? 

A friend over on this side of the pond has asked me to take a look at a British classic robot (What? A British robot? ) Yes, there is one, but it's a little lead fellow, the Suitcase Robot.  It's a very easy shape, but it has the shortest of legs - it's the Toulouse Lautrec of robots, a little short-arsed fellow that oozes charm. Probably one for the Brits, but who knows? It's at the CAD stage and I'm trying to get it as complete as possible before I start to print. I don't know how it will walk. It should be a laugh, though. 

Yes, I have a butterfly mind, but this is for fun, not a business. 

suitcase.jpg

It’s got a bit of a Dr Who feel to it

Archived