Mighty 8 Robot

Brian..

This time you was too fast for me David!

Yep that label is paper with glue - like the old price tags in a warehouse.

That is the original one! And of course it is gone, Joe.

MIGHTY8 Label2.JPG

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the color goes, Ozzie mentions two different shades, here:

mighty 8 ozzie.JPG

http://www.ozziesrobots.com/id23.htm

And, in the Alphadrome Database description:

mighty 8 db desc.JPG

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  

Ah Joe … all samples I have seen so far have the straight segments inside.

But sure - everything seems to be possible. Has anybody a sample with a swirl kaleidoscope inside?

Can we find a proof for that multi colored kaleidoscope disc??

I also find these old pictures - Henk is demonstrating his Mighty 8:

u30.JPG

u31.JPG

u32.JPG

In 2015 I found Masudaya presenting a few of their most famous products on one of their pages. With its yellow tin parts (brass?, copper?), hand painted and sweet style colour design to me it looks like a prototype. 

A blow-up of the kaleidoscope does show some swirl in the background colours on this one.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Personally--I love the  light Grey version with the gold  eyes and red details etc.... Brian, do you know if you are thinking of this as a project--if so---please sign me up !!!  (I guess its the prototype version that Lunik and Target mentions)

Is there a way to do that ? I remember John and you talking about some other printing style that is very smooth (epoxy ??) but your designs so far seem great to me just the way they are !!!:thumbs:

I have always understood the Masudaya light grey version to be a prototype. See page 43 from the book Techno Fantasies -Toy Robots From Japan by Alan Bunkum. 

This version is also pictured in the 1965 Masudaya catalog next to the Green Giant Shooting Robot.

It is beautiful robot and yes I agree this would be the one to make Brian......

Archived