Mighty 8 Robot

Brian..

I guess we're all watching and now it's out on social media, so here it is, a lovely Robot 8. The back story is fascinating - it survived because it didn't work and was returned to the toyshop. 

Robot 8 (Keleidoscope)

I keep looking at this from a 3D point of view. I wonder if I could ever get such a glossy finish? 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

I keep looking at this from a 3D point of view. I wonder if I could ever get such a glossy finish? 

I'm sure you could Brian, I'm also sure you would have plenty of customers wanting one. :thumbs:

I was watching it  (but it's far from being in my range of price). Nice robot and nice story. "Made in japan" was stamped under the feet?

The toy shop "au nain bleu" closed a couple of years ago.

mighty 8 copie.jpg   mighty 8 1 copie.jpg

mighty 8 2 copie.jpg mighty 8 3.jpg

mighty 8 4.jpg

I've rarely seen them unboxed. There was one from India on ebay a while back. At the auctions, they always have a box and mostly I think they're the same couple of examples passing along between owners. I do like the story on this one, though I'm not so sure about the having been opened part. You just never know what's going on in there. What do you expect it to go for? 

The stamp "Made in Japan" under his foot is correct, but the TM Masudaya label on his battery door is missing.

I have some doubts, if the colored kaleidoscope disc inside is original.  

The body set up is similar to the one you used on your 3D aviator robot , if you could illuminate the rotating part and make a kaleidoscope effect with clear colored gels-AWESOME !!!!!!

5 hours ago, Dirk said:

The stamp "Made in Japan" under his foot is correct, but the TM Masudaya label on his battery door is missing.

I have some doubts, if the colored kaleidoscope disc inside is original.  

I noticed that battery door too, Dirk.

Here's the best I could do with enhancing the auction photo:

mighty 8 cu.jpg

So, what do you think? Is it or isn't it there?

I was thinking that the father "fixing" it might have turned into him "opening" it through the years. Although if Dirk is right and the kaleidoscope disk is a replacement then it would have to be opened, right?

The one I once saw had an unusual brass strip to act as the ratchet pawl on the soles of the feet. This seems to be a regular (later?) version. 

What is the label supposed to look like? Is it a stamp, or a decal, or printing? What is the problem with the disc? Found a picture of the back.

4716.jpg

So it looks like it just fell off. How about the color? The one up for auction looks darker than many other pictures. Were there two or more shades made?

Archived