3d printed Radicon robot, vintage functions.

robothut

I thought it would be cool to try and build a working Radicon robot. I was thinking in a smaller scale as its easier to display.  I also wanted to see if a gray wrinkle finish could be baked on to the PLA 3d printed body parts.

So I made a working coherer detector and a sensitive reed relay and tied it to a 6 stage motor driven sequencer so that the functions of the Radicon robot could be reproduced. I am using a  mechanical piezo grill ignitor for the transmitter so that I would not have too try and build a electro-mechanical high voltage device.

I may build more of these but use modern RC electronics as building the vintage stuff and getting it working right is a lot of work. It was fun for a one time thing but would be work to do again.

video of the test robot.

When watching a you tube video on Alphadrom you can click on the "youtube" in the video lower bar to get too You Tube and that way read my comments as well.

Here is a picture of the robot. The wrinkle finnish turned out great but it takes 24 hours in a low heat oven and smells real bad. So if I make more of these robots they will be in a silky blue finish I think.

DSC04458.jpg

Archived