Buck Rogers lead figures, ships, pistols etc

dzrave

Hi,

I have been reading about these lead Buck Rogers figures on this site and I found the information to be very good. I have approx 100 figures and I'm not so sure which if any are old or recast from the original molds. I have seen some of the figures on Ebay which are not very expensive. I have others that seem to be not part of any molds like the 4.5 inch space ships with a couple painted. I'm a vintage toy collector and have some Buck Rogers tin toys. These toys were bought not too long ago at auction. I have never seen the pistols as well as a couple of the other pieces. My question is do you experts see anything that's of good value or rare? Besides this site there is not much to go on. I have sent some pictures below, any information would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Dave Zurick

IMG_8955.JPG

IMG_8956.JPG

IMG_8957.JPG

IMG_8958.JPG

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8960.JPG

IMG_8961.JPG

IMG_8962.JPG

IMG_8963.JPG

IMG_8964.JPG

IMG_8965.JPG

Welcome to the site, Dave. That's an impressive collection of figures that you have. If there's anything rare our experts will soon find it. 

One problem with these home cast figures is trying to establish just what is period cast and what has been moulded yesterday. Is there, in fact, any meaningful difference? All the examples out there are, after all, home made. What certainly matters is the quality of the cast. 

The lead develops a grey patina over time, but your casts look very clean. One of the rockets is a copy of a Japanese pin. The winged pin looks like a US Army Aviator badge. 

Vintage-Pressed-Tin-Metal-Sky-Rocket-Space-Ship.jpg

As a child in the fifties I used to make cowboy models from moulds my dad, an antique dealer,  found. We would would tear up lead piping and melt it on a spade on top of the stove. Health and safety be buggered. 

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for answering, I appreciate that !! It's a great site for information on many levels. You said "all" are home made which surprises me a bit. Even the larger ships? I read in this forum that there were no molds for these so, I wonder how they could be home made? Some of the figures are darker than others. Again, I know very little bout these and would love to know more. Is the Army Aviator Badge affiliated with Buck Rogers? I got these all in one auction, I didn't collect these over time. One collector consigned them. Thanks again, I hope to get more information and maybe some values on this collection. Best Regards, Dave Zurick 

Brian,

Yes I did read this yesterday. There are more to these figures that meet the eye that's for sure. I hope to get more information on what I actually have from the experts.

Thanks again,

Dave Z

5 minutes ago, Phil R said:

The small ray guns are interesting. I've never heard of or seen them before. I would like to purchase one if possible.

Hi Phil,

Well at this point I was trying to find out some information about these. I can't find any of the guns anywhere. I'm not sure If I want to sell not knowing what they are, how rare they are etc. I guess I'll take an offer and we'll see. Thanks, Dave

On 11/10/2018 at 1:34 AM, Brian.. said:

As a child in the fifties I used to make cowboy models from moulds my dad, an antique dealer,  found. We would would tear up lead piping and melt it on a spade on top of the stove. Health and safety be buggered. 

lol!  amazing that we've managed to survive all of those hazards!   The chemical, fire, electrical experiments that we went through... and the fireworks and explosives...

I need a drink, lol.   oh yeah, and surviving the booxze too :biggrin:

On 11/11/2018 at 8:10 PM, dzrave said:

Well at this point I was trying to find out some information about these. I can't find any of the guns anywhere. I'm not sure If I want to sell not knowing what they are, how rare they are etc. I guess I'll take an offer and we'll see. Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave, cool stuff - those little guns stand out.  :thumbs:

I'm not one of the experts, but I have some Buck figures that I feel were made at different periods of time.

I have no idea when, where, or who - but I do know that I love the look and feel of these older guys.   

I also have bought some of the more recently cast pieces - some of the better cast pieces are displayed with my "main" collection.

- I do have some other newer (but lower quality cast) pieces that are dispersed throughout my shop on shelves here and there... those are "blobby" and poorly cast and finished.    still cool, but they have larger issues.

in these two shots, you can see the difference in aging and quality between what I feel are two older pieces - and what I know to be two newer pieces.   

All four are pieces that I dig.

The bottom of the base of the newer piece doesn't show it well, but it has a fairly bright shine - especially where it was worked after casting to balance it. 

From your photos, I'd guess that your pieces are relatively recent casts - that's not to say that they aren't quite nicely done and great to collect and display.

Some great, early advice that I got from fellow collectors was to collect what you like.   Very simple, and absolutely correct for me.

If you aren't certain of the value of something that you want to move, trust the long timers on this site.   

Your own due diligence is always recommended & great, but you can also lean on the contributors here.   Soooo much knowledge in their heads, lol!

You won't get fleeced, and you might even be able to leverage extra pieces that you have as trade material to add other cool stuff to your collection.

If selling is your goal, research your stuff as best you can - then trust ebay's market to find the price for you.

Thanks for sharing your pics and good luck with your collection!

Kirk

DSC07245.JPG

DSC07246.JPG

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for taking the time. Great information here. I got approx 100 figures at an auction of a long time collector, as it was told. Some of the figures are darker like yours. It was mentioned that these are old yet, anybody can say anything at an auction. Someone already wants one of the guns, sent me some pictures of items willing to trade for one gun, I think I upset him since he hasn't sent me any more items willing to trade. I not a person who has traded much in the past. The last thing I want to do in this forum is to upset those experienced with these figures. I've collected old toys for 30 years, these are foreign to me. During that time I never sold anything, just as you say enjoyed the items. The old timers back then gave me great advice buy what you like and buy the best quality that you can afford. Pretty much what you said. Now that I have retired from my job I'm the older guy that has to sell off some of his collection since as they said I can't take it with me. It's also good to supplement my income since I am not making nearly as much as I did when I was working. I again thank you for your time and the pictures. You have been very nice to a stranger. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving !!!! All the Best.... Dave 

Archived