Diamond Planet 3D Project

Brian..

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The antennas are metal, Rich. Birdnose pliers and a bending jig, and the results are quite passable. You learn a lot making these fellows!

What a huge undertaking. These look great and appear to work soundly. I can't wait to see the box. These are very time consuming and I know the red bodied versions will come after the blues but I will be the first to commit to a red/blue. I will message you, Brian when I see they become available. Please do not keep any axe within the reach of your wife till then!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just about finished the first batch of blue Diamond Planets. Frustratingly I've been held up over the box art. I hope to be able to include  a decent reproduction box with the robot - a saving of $60 for you.  I ordered the artwork from a supplier but there's been a problem. At very least I would like to include an authentic looking box lid. In desperation I've used a variety of sources to Photoshop this artwork:

DIAMOND ARTWORK - FINAL RGB.jpg

I'm just going to finish the heads of the first batch: the eyes need assembling. After that I'll update you all on the dispatch date. 

As a side line I've been fiddling with that battery operated bump-and-go green/blue prototype version and the results are most interesting. 

Still waiting for the box artwork. 

So I decided to try to copy that prototype version of the Diamond Planet that Gernot found in a Japanese museum. It was fairly straightforward to swap the gearbox for a bump and go mechanism and to alter the chest assembly. 

Here's the result.  I'll post a video shortly, but it has a solid bump and go action with raising arms and flashing lights in the chest. I'll pay more attention to the chest lighting once the main Diamond Planets are out of the way. The colour is also something of a compromise between green and blue, but the photos we have are not conclusive. 

The position of that blanked out spark window at the front makes me wonder if Yonezawa were hedging their bets right from the start. I thought it was a battery op design that was converted at the last moment, but the more I look at it, (and I've looked at it a lot) the more it looks like battery and clockwork were design options from the start. It's obviously a spark window, close to the clockwork motor. On the battery version it's redundant.  

I will produce a few after Christmas. Drop me a line if you're interested. Same price as the regular versions - $249 including postage. 

IMG_4256.JPGIMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

Here's Gernot's photo of the original:

post-221-1210466893.jpg

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Oz. 

The lense you printed for the chest I assume is in clear PLA 

the original had a smoker dome cut in sections

The Top of the smoker dome is the Middle section of the chest lense & the cut sides flank the middle section 

If you had spare Smoking robot domes & were able to cut them ( & glue the 3 pieces ) 

It would look identical to the original

Now I don't know if they can be easily cut without cracking &/or if the original was molded that way as one piece

Hopefully this makes sense & clarifies 

Archived