Diamond Planet 3D Project

Brian..

This is easily the most ambitious project I've tackled and I'm enjoying it. I'm also tearing out my hair.  The Diamond Planet robot is one of those iconic pieces that very few of us will ever own, so it's a perfect candidate for 3D printing.  I saw one once, the Vectis piece that was in so-so condition, and it had great presence. I'd like something similar on my shelf.

I made a few important decisions about the build. Firstly it will be approximately the right size but not an exact copy. I don't have access to an original so I've used library shots to give me the information. It's one of the joys of 3D printing that a picture or two is all you need. Secondly it will be battery operated. No problem there, it obviously started life in the Yonezawa factory as a battery op and it seems right to go that way. At a later stage I can always make a wind up version.  Thirdly, I will build it in many parts, almost like a kit. It would be easier to print the main body in one massive pass but you lose something when you do that. 

I think that two motors will make the build easier. One will power the movement and the other will drive the arms and the meter.

The first stage is to get the shape right. It's a really strange build with odd angles. There are no legs to deal with but there are other challenges to keep me on my toes. Here are a few shots of the CAD drawings. I'm currently running off a first stage print to see if the design actually looks right.  You'll see that there are multiple copies of various parts such as the head. This is a way  of working out how to cut up the model and make the design work.  I might even try using a totally different printer. 

I'm not taking orders for this chap. It's far too early. The build looks large and, sorry to say, relatively expensive in time and material. The CAD drawings have taken a solid week of work and one body part alone is threatening to take 27 hours.

CAD1.jpgcad2.jpg

cad3.jpgcad4.jpg

cad5.jpgcad6.jpg

cad7.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This does look really ambitions. What do you do for the mechanism? Do you trash a modern toy of some sort or do you build that as well?

David, the main mechanism is the standard Tamiya gear box. It comes as a kit with a variable gear ratio. The other motor is one of the economical Chinese gearboxes. Most of the other bits can be built. The googly eyes and the meter are simple enough but fiddly. Yonezawa kindly provided me with a handy place to put four AA batteries. 

Archived