Diamond Planet 3D Project

Brian..

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Brian.. said:

Blue hammered Rustoleum does the trick. It has a rock hard metallic finish. 

Thanks Brian!!  It looks super cool!! great an amazing job!!

Thanks for the kind comments, gents.  I've just started the run. The machines operate 24 hours a day and progress is very slow. 

The price will be $249 including postage. Sorry it's more than usual but the robot is more than usual! It's big, heavy, has two motors and has taken countless hours of design time. I could offer a lengthy breakdown but, believe me, this will leave me with a small profit. Message me if you're still interested.  

I'm only offering the blue with red arms at the moment.  It's a paint finish I'm very happy with. I will make the red with blue arms later. A few of you have asked for unusual colour combinations and I will get round to them once the standard runs are completed. Interest has been substantial and this looks like being a long project so please be patient and I'll get to all of you eventually. 

I don't number robots any more, I just sign and date them.

Here's a picture of the Hayes' Vintage Robot Clone factory in full swing. The latest printer is on the left, printing the chest dial.  My wife wants to take an axe to the lot. 

factory.jpg

8 hours ago, Brian.. said:

Thanks for the kind comments, gents.  I've just started the run. The machines operate 24 hours a day and progress is very slow. 

The price will be $249 including postage. Sorry it's more than usual but the robot is more than usual! It's big, heavy, has two motors and has taken countless hours of design time. I could offer a lengthy breakdown but, believe me, this will leave me with a small profit. Message me if you're still interested.  

I'm only offering the blue with red arms at the moment.  It's a paint finish I'm very happy with. I will make the red with blue arms later. A few of you have asked for unusual colour combinations and I will get round to them once the standard runs are completed. Interest has been substantial and this looks like being a long project so please be patient and I'll get to all of you eventually. 

I don't number robots any more, I just sign and date them.

Here's a picture of the Hayes' Vintage Robot Clone factory in full swing. The latest printer is on the left, printing the chest dial.  My wife wants to take an axe to the lot. 

factory.jpg

What a Fantastic setup!!

I know the process of creating the patterns must be immensely complex and difficult, but I'm impressed with how few tools you need to make these toys. If you work with wood or metal you have a zillion different tools, often very large and heavy, sharp and dangerous - something different for each operation. How often do these contraptions break?

The 3d printers are very good these days David. As more builders get in to it and the manufactures keep making the NEW best printer they do get better and the prices do come down. Back when I started I had a junker Flash forge Dreamer that I fixed up and it worked great with OK quality but you could count on a filament jam every now and then. It just has to do with the design of the hot end back then. They just keep getting better. This has allowed me to work in the house most of the time, just like Brains wife has given him a room "or at least has not kicked him out yet" , I am allowed to have 1 printer "Prusa MK3" in the house, the rest live out in the cold and dirty shop. But if I add a resin printer then the game changes as they are messy and smell a bit , about the same as resin casting. But the quality for small parts is fantastic.

Archived