Diamond Planet 3D Project

Brian..

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2018 at 9:47 AM, Brian.. said:

Side by side comparison with a genuine one: (I've still to add the frame around the spark window and the ears). I may accentuate that join line in the front of the base. 

DP1.jpgdia front.jpg

Fantastic Brian , are you doing all 3 versions ? ( 2 colors plus the blue battery prototype  ) 

It looks terrific. Is the printing smoother? When you're making something like this, how much so you try to make it exact and how much are you changing for your own preference? I see things in the original that are a little soft, like the edges and corners of the chest area, that you sharpened up. Same with the rivets, which were soft just due to the steel pressing limitations and sharper on yours. The top of the head is so different that that has to be an aesthetic choice, or does it contain something? The side by side is especially interesting because they both look great, but different enough that they're like different toys - a new personality. Yours looks more dangerous.

I'm trying to be as exact as possible, David, but no matter how long I spend there will be differences. I print thick and heavy so that the finished product feels substantial. I want to avoid the plastic box effect that you see on many 3D printed pieces. There's not a single right angle on this robot. The head is a real compromise because a group of curves run off at different angles.  Ultimately you have to say that's as close as I'm going to get in a reasonable time scale.  So apart from a few easy fixes (dial detail, mouth size and position etc) I'm calling it a day on the design stage.

Oz, I will produce the blue/red and red/blue combinations. I'm also going to try other combinations because why not? Where else will you see a hammered green DP with silver arms? 

I might look at the bump and go prototype later. And the spark window lights, Brady. :thumbs: 

Brian--Do you happen to remember the hammered Rosemary paint I used on the Dr. Satan robot you sold me?? Its a kind of Greenish,Goldiish Tannish hammered metallic color-I had sent you a couple of photos of the finished robot and you commented that you liked the color--If you would like I could pick up a couple of spray cans and send them out to you (Free of course!!) It is a very unique color(Its a hammered metallic finish too!) Let me know and I will pick some up if you want--Rich

Archived