Diamond Planet 3D Project

Brian..

My guess is the silver is a repaint 

The JTY has tabs in the front chest area that the others don't 

as far as I can tell so internally may have been different 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressive to see how quick you make the parts and manufacture a diamond robot. Looking really nice.

If possible, I am interested in one!! 😊

The silver version stands in the Kitahara Toy Museum in Yokohama since a few years. I have seen it in person a few times there.

My guess is that it was an original red or blue version with removed color paint - and then either kept the plane metal or repainted in Silver.

I doubt this color is original- but that is just my impression.

Mick, the eyes do jiggle. Face plate, two transparent eye covers, two flat pupils and two backing pieces. Quite a bit of fiddling to get the jiggle.  

On 3.9.2018 at 5:52 PM, steve said:

Gernot - there is a DP in Rolf Fehlbaum's book that appears as a very light shade of blue - how did this piece look in person?

Steven, I do not remember exactly- I have to check the Photos I took when visiting his collection- It did not seem to be unusual.

Rich, I'll try to post a video shortly. I'm working on the mechanism and I'm trying out paint schemes. In addition I bought a third Prusa printer to replace the CR-10, so I've been busy assembling it.

The forward motion of the Diamond Planet is easy enough because it's just like a car. The arms, however, have to swing up and down together and the meter has to move. I have both actions working fine, but the noise from the mechanism is dreadful. It sounds like a mass of groaning and squeaking. The noise is the result of poorly designed connecting cams and sounds are amplified by the huge body of the robot. 

I have found a design called the Scotch Yoke and this should make everything smoother. The second motor turns the wheel and the rod lifts the arms up and down. This would be a delicate component and would probably break or dislocate if the arms were restrained, so I'll need strong clutches in each arm. The clutch lets the arm move independently but still stay in place. There's a spring inside each clutch. 

I learned from past builds that you have to check each part for robustness so I'm making sure it's solid.

• 2 weeks later...

Diamond Planet Robot update:

Rather slow progress at the moment. The problem is that all the parts are not my standard ones, so I'm forever sourcing new components (rods, motors, gel, switches) and waiting for consignments from China.

I had a complete working prototype but no sooner was it switched on than it developed a fault deep inside. Impossible to access, just like those Hong Kong plastics. Once assembled, forever inaccessible. So either I need to make it all accessible with screws spoiling the look of the thing, or I go for a robust build that I can confidently glue up. I don't want screws, but I've settled for some in the base. They're quite out of harm's way. I won't have screws on the body unless it's unavoidable - so I'm over engineering the arm lifting mechanism Victorian style. 

Meanwhile I tested some paint samples. Red enamel looks good, but is very glossy. Hammered blue looks wonderful and I'll be happy to settle for this as one of the versions. Other paint is on order - hammered red, hammered silver, hammered green. 

Here are some shots of the light blue hammered version. It sometimes gives me quite a buzz  when I see it sitting on the table. 

DP1.jpgDP2.jpg

DP3.jpgDP4.jpg

Side by side comparison with a genuine one: (I've still to add the frame around the spark window and the ears). I may accentuate that join line in the front of the base. 

DP1.jpgdia front.jpg

Archived