Diamond Planet 3D Project

Brian..

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well here we go. Here's the first print. Better than I expected.  The chest panel needs reworking to remove those step lines caused by printing at a slight angle. I need some red gel for the spark window and I'll have to bend some wire for the antennas, but it's running (crawling at the usual Hayes speed) , the arms lift together and the meter is working. 

The problem, as always, is to keep the innards accessible to solve any minor problems.

Diamond Planet 1.JPGDiamond Planet 2.JPG

Diamond Planet 3.JPGDiamond Planet 4.JPG

Diamond Planet 5.JPG

For scale, here he is alongside Scoops. He appears to be eyeing him with contempt. 

Diamond Planet 6.JPG

That turned out really nice Brian. I know I am the only one but I have never cared much for Diamond Planet robot, but for some reason seeing yours I love it. I have found that a source for thick red jell material that is low cost you can find translucent red Note book, page binders / dividers. Costs so much less that lighting jell and is thicker. Can't wait to see the video of this guy in action. 

Wonderful Brian , Kudos !

How's the scale to the original ?

are you going to use a mask for the nose & mouth plus eye trim ?

If those were printed seperate , leave some recess in the face  would be real sweet to spray them

with a good chrome paint & then use some clear drying glue 

Don't forget the propeller cap ! :biggrin:

& of course the infamous blue prototype ;)  

prop cap.jpg

Prototype DP.jpg

Thanks, guys, and for the gel info John. 

The size is 10" or 25.5 cm. That's just a fraction short of the 26cm of the original as measured by Morita. A slight adjustment of the motor position would push it up if necessary, but this will do.

The face details are well defined, Oz, and I'll will have a good chrome finish. 

I'm also aware of the JTY version of the Diamond Planet that appears in the 1963 Yonezaewa catalog. There are minor variations in the rivet detail and there's a disctinctive dark meter dial marked J.T.Y. I wonder what colour it was?

1963.jpg

Thanks for the gel info John. 

Is this silver version of the robot a valid one?

post-25-0-36949700-1302801081.jpg

Archived