Display Cases

Guest Homer J

sounds great hunter. though i hate spending that much!!

i was thinking of making simple shelves that are an 1inch thick . purchasing some plexy ,hinges and lighting.

i think i could do this for around 300-400 us dollars .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The history with those cabinets it's always the same...

When you find "the cabinet", the real one, that one that you was looking for,

the price is between $1000 and $3000, and the "last thought" is

with that money I can buy another robot...

Isn't It So?

You might save a couple bucks if you could buy the exhibit cases directly from the manufacturer. Gaylord tacks on their markup and passes the increase on to you! Try a google search for 'exhibit cases' or 'display cases'. See what's out there.

Some places deal exclusively with "used" business furniture. You might get lucky and run across an antique center that's gone out of business! Check your local yellow pages.

You might want to consider buying the laminated type enclosures first, displaying the 'bots without doors for awhile, and adding the more expensive "custom made" glass or plexiglass doors later.

Or, wait and see what Ikea has to offer in their 2006 catalog. They annually revise their inventory and may design something next year that will suit your robot display needs exactly. I guess I just happened to luck out when I bought their "Sufflor" wall units, six years ago, to outfit the Museum!

Ikea doesn't make those glass cabinets I've got? Darn... I was thinking of buying another one when I move. Oh well.

I think that, in lieu of traditional display cases, I might go with something a bit more funky. I'm the only one in my apartment, I don't have any pets, and I live in a more-or-less earthquake free zone. So I could see, for instance, placing my Mechanized Robby on some sort of funky column, like one might do a vase or small statue. Or maybe making weird, wall sconce-looking shelves for single robot displays. If lit correctly, these would show off the toys as well as anything else. And, because they're mostly home-grown, they won't cost too much beyond the effort involved in making them (and finding raw materials, etc).

There are also cool stores in NYC that sell weird medical cabinets and the like. They're mostly made of enameled metal and glass, and fit the theme of old space toys. I've also seen specimen displays -- domed glass that fits over circular wooden bases -- that could hold one or maybe two robots.

It really depends on the look you're trying to achieve. For a while, I was going for something of a museum-style of display -- everything grouped together on as unabtrusive a shelf as possible. But lately, as I anticipate the move to a smaller apartment with less space to dedicate towards large cases, I've been thinking about a more integrated approach.

Plus I'm bored, and rearranging the toys provides a way to interact with my collection without spending more money on new toys!

The issues of display cabinets and the cost involved is a hard one. I used IKEA cabinets for years and still keep all the new and reproduction robots in them in the robot room. These are no longer made, but were great deep ones with clear glass doors top to bottom.

But I never felt the vintage robots got displayed best in these due to poor lighting and not enough glass. So three years ago I broke down and had a professional store fixture cabinet custom built with extra deep shelves and all glass sides, top, and extra lighting.

This one unit cost me over $1,300.00 and it was hard to part with that kind of cash (because as already mentioned here, it could buy another boxed robot!) but it was one of the best things I've ever done. The toys look beautiful and it makes for a super presentation when showing off the robot room to folks for the first time.

If you can afford it and can find a local source ( usually a store fixture supply company) then I say go for it! ;)

Can you post a pic, they sound great...

Rt

And this is the one I had made by a store fixture company for the vintage robots. Much deeper and holds twice as much with better lighting...

post-2-1107577896.jpg

you can't beat glass doors AND glass sides.

Those custom made cabinets leave IKEA for dead.

I guess you apreciate the investment everytime you look at your toys being displayed so well

RT

I guess you apreciate the investment everytime you look at your toys being displayed so well

Russell - It's more about the boxes than anything else. With a few exceptions, almost everyting I have is boxed and with this showcase I can actually fit the boxes behind every toy.

For years I had the boxes piled up on top of the IKEA bookcases and was always worrying about them being exposed. Now everything is behind glass. ;)

post-2-1107689026.jpg

Here's my two cents or is it two cabinets...

Robothunter, your display is just fantastic !!!

Lacking the room for floor cabinets, I made some

built in book cases above my computer desk. I used

inexpensive pine and made the glass fronts. These

cost less than $100 each to build and my wife even

likes the look. Now I have to convince her into letting

me build ten more for the rest of my toys... :rolleyes:

cmain.jpg

cmiddle.jpg

cside.jpg

:) Wow, Robotnut, they look pretty nice to me. I still am using several china cabinets, or cupboards found at antique sales to set my collection on. I eventually want to finish my library in built in book cases to hold books, phonograph records and CD's, VHS tapes and discs, and a row all the way around the room at eye level for the robots, side by side, no putting one in fromt of the other. -Larry 7

post-2-1107717494.jpg

Archived