Display Cases

Guest Homer J

Guest Homer J

I noticed this was posted a while back but what affordable options exist for doing a wall , say 7 - 8 feet across & 6 - 7 feet high & probably about 16 inches deep give or take . I went to ikea on line & display cases didn't come up . Preferably glass or plexiglass & illuminated is a big plus. Any suggestions ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ikea doesn't carry "display cases". That link above is the closest you'll come. You have to look under "wall units" or "bookcases". In the last few years, they haven't had anything with totally clear glass "doors". Their "Billy Bookcases" can be fitted with glass doors, but they are heavily framed in wood or aluminum.

John Rigg's post from a couple months ago holds promise:

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...t=ST&f=2&t=1924

I've noticed white laminated shelving/cases in Home Depot, meant for mostly kitchen installation but again, the problem are the doors. Custom made glass or plexiglas would have to be cut to size and that's sure to drive the price up.

Then, there are always the professional display cases, except they are very, very expensive!

Guest Homer J

Thanks for the replies . The thought of spending as much for a case as for a couple of cherry MIB robots has always deterred me. Hopefully from these suggestions I'll snag a pearl or 2 to get something done.

yes rt can you send me cabinet name.....thanks mg

MG, the cabinet YOU want is the "Tügénn-schwerken-Grugnoff-Schlpikkén" ..in mahogany ;)

My cabinet from IKEA sees to be discontinued.

Nearest one now is TOMELLIA but it has frosted glass not clear.

I guess that's OK if you have a cabinet full of ugly Robots, but to my eyes it seems to defeat the purpose of displaying anything?

Rt

The issues of display cabinets and the cost involved is a hard one. I used IKEA cabinets for years and still keep all the new and reproduction robots in them in the robot room. These are no longer made, but were great deep ones with clear glass doors top to bottom.

But I never felt the vintage robots got displayed best in these due to poor lighting and not enough glass. So three years ago I broke down and had a professional store fixture cabinet custom built with extra deep shelves and all glass sides, top, and extra lighting.

This one unit cost me over $1,300.00 and it was hard to part with that kind of cash (because as already mentioned here, it could buy another boxed robot!) but it was one of the best things I've ever done. The toys look beautiful and it makes for a super presentation when showing off the robot room to folks for the first time.

If you can afford it and can find a local source ( usually a store fixture supply company) then I say go for it! ;)

Archived