Robby: How I Restore An Old Robby ( An Attempt )

Volker

here the next picture.

Ahh

I am not sure with the Color from the Feet. Was the color from the first Silver Robbys

in Red or in Black ?

I know the Hands was always in red.

cu

Volker

post-8-1069182998_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

:) Nice ongoing article on your Robby restoration! I think that you have a very neat idea redoing your robot in silver.

I recently picked up an incomplete Mechanized, which I plan on restoring, but I also thought that a battle-worn robot adds character to a collection of tin robots. However, a Mechanized Robby without his anteanna and hands somehow loses some of the awesome presence of the toy!

I work in the automotive body business, and I agree that sandblasting thin tin can pit sometimes, instead you may try bead blasting media. It is very soft and is less agressive. Do not hold the gun aimed in one place very long, the metal will get hot and possible warp.

If possible, sand the rough spots left by the corrosion smooth before applying primer, that is, if the metal is still thick enough that you won't sand through!

Chrome parts on metal toys always surprize me by their ability to be cleaned up by using 4-0 steel wool.

The paint on my old Robby looks very slick and shiny, so a very thin paint will be necessary. Some spray cans go on too thick to look right. -larry seven

:) I have had good luck improving the look of the plastic domes on robots using products for clear coats on automobiles. I have even ran the electric polisher slowly on the floor or bench with one hand, holding the dome against the foam polishing pad with the other, using a very light touch, but this is very risky, the dome may catch and go flying across the floor! Remember Steve Martin in the Jerk movie polishing a car! As soon as his buffer touched the fender, he was propelled down the side of the car! Nothing makes an old robot look cleaner than improving the clear lenses or dome. -larry seven

• 4 months later...

Hi : VoLKeR

YOU MIGHT TRY RAY ROHR if YOU NEED to REPLACE THE DOME for YOUR RoBoT .

I HAVE BOLTH CoLoRs (black and nickel) of THE NEW RoBBys THAT HE HAD MADE A FEW YEARS AGO .

IT APPEARS THAT THEY ARE THE SAME as THE 1957 MECHANIZED RoBoT THAT I HAVE .

HE WILL BE ABLE TO ANSWER THIS .

rayrohr@rayrohrtoys.com

FAX 425 3965742

well cliff,

I need many other things for this Robot.

and when i add all parts it is cheaper to kill a otti-Repro.

So I decide to wait for a cheap otti-Repro - but I find not a cheap :D

And I can. t kill a Robot or ?

so I wait

• 7 months later...

Very nice job

But for anyone restoring a tin robot i would say use a talc or bead blast,this is way more harmless than silica sand that creates distortion and heat and also a ruff surface

Bead is way more gentle and smooth when finished.

• Brian.. changed the title to Robby: How I Restore An Old Robby ( An Attempt )

Archived