Type 1 Walking Robot

robothut

Another robot you can build. here is a preview of the robot, if you want a build video put a comment on you tube.

very cool, John! 

I like the free swinging arms...   I seem to be considering a printer for some odd reason...  :eeek:

Great Robot John!  Do you have a recommendation for a printer around 250.00 for someone who is not super computer savvy? The easier to use , the better for me. My wife has asked me about what I would like for my birthday next month:thumbs:

Robodude, non of the 3d printers require any computer skills to speak of until you decide to start to design your own stuff. All 3d printers do require a slicer program to prepare the STL files for a particular printer but once set up the slicers are just LOAD the STL file select the quality and Slice. Then the file they Slice is saved a Gcode file that you feed to the printer, normaly on a SD card. That's it. The printers are mechanical and if you enjoy playing around with mechanical things then you can figure out how to keep them going. Most popular 3d printers have large groups on face book and on YouTube with "how too type videos". Right now the best 3d printers for under $250 would be the Ender 3, the price will range from $179.00 too $210.00 and the new Tevo Flash. The tevo flash comes in a lot of different versions, but the basic version that you build your self is $240.00. These prices include shipping. Now there are cheaper 3d printers but the build size gets so small that you could not make the robots, things like the legs or the body height would exceed what they can do.

Here is a Tevo flash link.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TEVO-Flash-3D-Printer-Aluminium-Extrusion-3D-Printer-kit-3d-printing-Prebuilt-50-SD-card-Titan/32883776824.html?src=bing&albslr=226068470&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&src=bing&albch=shopping&acnt=42005546&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&albcp=133368721&albag=5555450772&slnk=&trgt=pla-4584826049844686&plac=&crea=13195869956&netw=o&device=c&mtctp=e&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=PA-Bing-Computer %26 Office-US&utm_content=All&utm_term=tevo flash 3d printer&msclkid=71845417b2e710d1f1880f585799fdb1

The standard kit is $239.00 this direct from Tevo in China. The pluses to this printer are the large build size, the heat bed is AC mains and not 12 volt DC so it heats up fast and does not load down the printers power supply and the big ones for me it has Dual part cooling fans and inductive end stop sensors instead of mechanical switches.  Now if you want to pay more each option is about $50 bucks. You can buy it with a BL touch. A BL touch is auto bed leveling system very nice but not important as you can level a bed by hand, but if you happen to get a printer with a non flat glass bed then it can be very good as it compensates for this in the printers electronics. You can get it with dual Z motors. What this means is both sides of the printers hot end assembly have a stepper motor, again not importasnt as this design of printer has been proven to work just fine with a single stepper motor by another 3d printer company that makes the CR 10 printers. And you can buy it with 2100 stepper drivers, this will  make the printer so quite in operation you could sleep in the same room and not hear anything but the cooling fan running. The 2100 drivers work but are not worth $50 bucks you can buy  TMC 2208 drivers and plug them into the printers control board for under $25 bucks. Here is a link to a video I did putting the TMC 2208 drivers in to a Delta printer and made that bad boy silent.

Here is a Ender 3 link.

https://us.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_1845899.html?wid=1433363&currency=USD&vip=15072207&gclid=CjwKCAjw7vraBRBbEiwA4WBOn2dNKaV9nbri67dSVPp-y-PbHoo1tnHpPw7vkYk7yH5UGZ7rtyPOhhoCPowQAvD_BwE

Before you buy any 3d printer watch the free videos on you tube about the printer you are thinking about so that you can see what problems some of the guys have, some nebies and some not. !

Now many towns have 3d printers in there library that you can use and many towns have what's called a Maker Space when you rent a space to use there tools and printers. All towns have schools with printers and kids with printers. I would suggest checking to see if you can get 1 on 1 with a printer first too see if it is for you. 

Once you under stand  what the slicer does and what the printer does you can then have fun with it and fix problems as they pop up. Yes there will be problems as with all things fun.

The most important thing about 3d printing is getting a good first layer. If the first layer is crap and not stuck well to the print bed then the print will fail. So this comes to having a level print bed with a proper "Z" height, this means the distance from the hot end nozzle and the print surface. You want the round bead of hot plastic to be 1/2 pushed down, a full round bead means the plastic is just sitting on top the build plate and not sticking to it and a totally flat bead is too close and will cause problems with extrusion and other problems. any way its a mechanical thing and once set up is good to go.

Now if you have more money to spend there are printers like the Prusa MK3 that will be quite in operation, has a removeable build plate that flexes so the parts pop off when your done printing and auto bed leveling.  but even in kit form these are $700 and up printers. So most guys buy a less expensive printer and Pimp it out, by adding the silent stepper drivers or replacing the build plate with a flex plate system.  Also Thing-I-verse is full of mods that you can print to fix problems with low cost 3d printer designs like adding the dual part cooling fan to the hot end, most low cost printers only cool the extruded plastic from one side and this is fine for many prints but prints that have steep over hangs or lots of detail on the side of the print that is not facing the cooling fan will look crapy as the plastic does not cool fast enough and so sags and so on.

Used 3d printers is a good way to go also. find a more expensive 3d printer on Crags list and then you can have the seller demo the printer and you get a better printer for a lower cost.

And if you realy like working on things like this then buy a broken printer, all the parts can be bought on line for any printer, so if you get it cheap enough and want to learn how they work from the inside out it is great way to go. I started 3 years ago with the Flash Forge Dreamer being sold on Ebay as FOR PARTS ONLY, not hard to repair and I learned so much about how they work. At that time there were not low cost printers worth owning, the dreamer had a retail value close to $1500.00 bucks so to get it for $350.00 was a steal. Now there are lots of low cost 3d printers to pick from, they all have there things that need to be changed or lived with but for the money they do fantastic job.

Andy, I wanted to do a Rocket man robot type head and the body started as a box that fit over the mechanics, then I just kept moding it until it looked like something that I would want to see in a cheap claw foot robot design.

John, THANKS VERY MUCH for your input. My Birthday is the middle of September,,but I think I will pursue the 3D printer--Thanks for all your help and advice on this !!!!  Rich

Archived