Identifying Johillco and Cherilea cast figures?

Martian Gil

Greetings,

As time allows, I've been trying to appropriately identify my expanding collection of cast, metal figures.

I figured that while I try to get these labeled, that I'd post them for future reference.    Any help would be greatly appreciated and feel free to add photos. 

** - I also have a few multiples of some of the Charbens, Cherilea, and Johillco pieces if there is anyone out there willing to make trades to expand our respective collections.  If you are interested, just message me - thanks.

Regarding Johillco / Cherilea; I know that there was some overlapping of design / mold use between the two.

I think that the Johillco figures are simply marked "England".   I've not found a piece marked Johillco yet anyway.  There might be - I just haven't got any :)

Most Cherilea are fairly easy to identify - if you can find the light, raised script "Cherilea"...   in addition, many of the Cherilea are also marked "Eng.".

Adding to the confusion - the metallic shades used on many seems to have been fairly heavy and viscous, making a heavy layer over the detail.     Mix in wear and tear over the years and you have yourself a fun little "I spy" game...   or frustrating, depending on your frame of mind, lol.

So, with that all in mind - here are a few different photos trying to demonstrate the challenges.

These three figures are a good example.   All marked Cherilea.   
Both the left and right are marked Cherilea on the front of the right leg.    On the far right figure, I think I can make out the "ENG" on the front of his left leg.

The left figure has more wear -and the contrasting color makes it hard to determine.  If I needed to wager on it, I'd say the "ENG" is there, but worn.

The center figure is marked Cherilea on the rear of his left leg - and ENG on the back of his rt leg.

The crest of his helmet is more pronounced as well.

DSC06567.JPG

Here are a few of the Mechanical Men.

DSC06612.JPG

The center figure is a Johillco - I think.   It seems slightly smaller, a bit more crisp in his lines.
His marking is "England" across his rump.

The other two are each marked Cherilea (left) and Eng (right) on the back of their legs.

These two figures are more of a mystery.   

I think that the rifleman is marked "England" on the back of his right leg.   That said, this paint is in fantastic shape - and quite thick.

It could also read Cherilea...?    

I have not found any other photos of this particular rifle figure.

The figure with the odd instrument is not marked that I can see - but that might be his finish...   

I thought that I'd found other examples of him, but I can't locate them at the moment.

Both are fantastic display pieces.

DSC06572.JPG

Last but not least, here are some figures that I'm fairly confident are indeed Johillco pieces.

All are marked "England" only.   And, they are pretty photogenic.

DSC06606.JPG

This last photo shows two pieces that I am unable to find evidence of any marking.   Same color scheme, so I think they were likely part of the same set at some point.  

The rifleman on the left from the first photo is similarly finished - the rifleman from above is marked Cherilea.

DSC06578.JPG

thanks for reading, and thanks in advance if you are able to help.

Cheers, Kirk

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have the two space figures that have the figure standing with the same piece of equipment as the kneeling piece, and the 2nd. piece is quite a bit of difference from the regular standing  Cherilea with the rifle across his waist. I had never seem them in a book or for sale, and sort of picked these 2 while bidding on a small group of Cherilea space figures. I studied them closely, thinking some one had put two parts together, but I saw no evidence of that. I believe they are really rare. Your 2 samples are the first 2 I have ever seen. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks, JOHN

I bought these Johillco and Cherilea some years ago . I put them in graphic display boxes. I believe I used reference photos for identification. I don't remember if they were marked. Hopefully  the photos will be of some help.

DSCF0001-7.JPG

Hello again- I was trying to ascertain whether the two figures both under the "mystery scan" were "rare' OR DIFFICULT TO FIND. i HAVE BOTH OF THEM AND YOUR SCAN IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER SEEN THESE TWO FIGURES. OTHER THAN MY OWN TWO, I'm new at using this alphadrom space toy/robot and could use any information you may have, the best, John  new member.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:44 PM, Phil R said:

I bought these Johillco and Cherilea some years ago . I put them in graphic display boxes. I believe I used reference photos for identification. I don't remember if they were marked. Hopefully  the photos will be of some help.

DSCF0001-7.JPG

On 9/24/2021 at 8:44 PM, Phil R said:

DSCF0001-7.JPG

Thanks for sending those beautiful scans. I believe that 2 of the piexces ( you have 2 of ea. I believe, are very rare, JOHN

I am new at these type of reply's. etc., so I do hope you receive my thanks, JOHN