3d printed Mr. Signal Project.

robothut

So I was asked by Robot Island to reproduce the Rare Mr. Signal. I had been asked many times threw the years to do the project but for what ever reason this time I felt the time was right. I can not offer the robot as I did this job for Robot Island so you will have to inquire there if interested.

So for me the project started with all the images of the original Mr. Signal. I had to know the scale for the robot. A bottom view of the robot showed the location of 2 D cell batteries and those batteries gave me the scale for the base. I designed my parts in Design Spark Mechanical free 3d CAD. The heart of the project is its functions, for me anyway. So I decided to use the repro gear box from the Chief Robot Man. The robot was to have Bump and go action with moving arms and legs. I thought it would be cool if it would move with the Green traffic light ON and the Amber dome light flashing as a warning that the robot was on the move. Then have the robot stop moving and the Green light go out and the Red light turn ON. The box shows that the robot had a bell that would ding. So I thought when the robot was stopped would be the perfect time for a mechanical Bell to Ding, sort of like a old time rail road crossing. So I was able to modify the Chief robotman gear box to do this functions. The rotating gears in the chest are driven with a separate small gearbox motor.

I kept one robot for my collection and it is printed and painted differently than the ones Robot Island has. So if Jay wants to add pictures of the actual finished robots he can. I will show my robot and prototype pictures.

DSC04116.jpg

DSC04115.jpg

DSC04123.jpg

The traffic light is a build in its self. I designed two traffic light shells and in those parts I mount 9 reflectors and LEDs. There is a 4 wire bundle that exits the traffic light to connect too the switches on the modified Chief robotman gearbox.

DSC04049.jpg

DSC04051.jpg

DSC04052.jpg

DSC04053.jpg

DSC04050.jpg

Here are a few shots of the modified Chief robotman gear box.

You can see that the gear box frame has its frame mounts a bit lower than normal.

There are two DP - DT switches mounted to 3d printed parts that provide the flashing amber dome light and the Red / Green traffic light actions.

The drive that would normally go too the Chief robotman's spinning antennas has be used to rotate a spring with a striker on it.  There is a Stop that makes the spring tension up before letting lose on the Bell.

Since the robot operates from 2 AA batteries I added a voltage up converter for the proper LED drive voltages.

DSC04267.jpg

DSC04268.jpg

DSC04269.jpg

Here are a few inside shots from when I was prototyping.

You can see the Feet/Leg and Arm linkage . The robot was designed too have the feet be moved by a cam on the rear wheels of the robot. Then that action is connected by inside linkage to the Arms.

The wire bundle from the traffic light can be seen as well.

You can see the small gear motor for the chest gear display as well.

Finding a clear cover for the chest gear display was not easy and requires a bit of modification to a expensive case top cover.

DSC04054.jpg

DSC04055.jpg

DSC04068.jpg

DSC04007.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

John can you explain how you do litho on 3D ,was that done on this project? Is the back chest plate where gears spin lith on 3D plastic ???

Just curious of the process and if technology is there!

Archived