Aviator Robot

Brian..

Henk Gosses Aviator Robot is a tempting project. When Henk first introduced it I thought it was an absolute stunner. I've not touched a printer for the past month (total burn out) but this might just wake me up. I read Henk's post again and remember how much fun he was.

Here's Henk's other Thunder-based version of the Aviateur.

post-765-0-55187300-1363803307.jpg

And here's the box art for the Horikawa based green version:

AVIATOR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not my usual thing, Rich, but I want one so I can just as easily make a couple more. 

I've done a little work on the simpler version, not the Thunder. As usual I have a pair of disembodied legs wandering across the dining room table. 

It seems so odd to have a Gear Robot body taking shape. I can see how Horikawa kept things simple: short legs, wide feet, plenty of battery space with that extension out of the back. The only problem is the propeller. Henk managed to take a drive off the motor, offset with two decorative gears - and that was quite an achievement. But the motor I use doesn't allow that so I'm looking at a second micro motor to provide the power.  

I don't plan on an exact copy but all the basics will be there, with some slight alterations to personalise it a tad. Henk's costs must have included a vintage Gear Robot chassis for each Aviator he built. I guess that's why he switched to the Thunder platform. 

I wonder if you could find the tea tins for the head

would spare you the trouble of printing them 

& add a nice look 

Tin would always be better, but it's deceptive, Oz. There's about three days of work in each of those heads. You would need Henk's or John's skills to achieve anything decent. Just look at the work involved in the mouth alone. In addition you would need metal working equipment.

post-72-1143682967.jpg

Awesome Brian!!! I may be able to access a raised round clear plastic plate for a propeller cover if that helps--Its actually a petrie dish and I could get some from work--I will measure its diameter and send you the dimensions if you would like

I may be able to find smaller diameter ones to--They look a lot like the propeller cover on Henks Aviateur robot

7 hours ago, Brian.. said:

Tin would always be better, but it's deceptive, Oz. There's about three days of work in each of those heads. You would need Henk's or John's skills to achieve anything decent. Just look at the work involved in the mouth alone. In addition you would need metal working equipment.

post-72-1143682967.jpg

What you could do is use a tin head drill out the eyes for those rivets & then 3D print the ear nose & mouth & paint them in a chrome paint & glue them on , Just a thought

but yeah Henk had some serious tools at his disposal especially for metal working 

Love that color he used BTW 

Brian-Those clear covers I posted about earlier are 3 1/2 inches in diameter--I can send you some if you would like--Rich

A Petrie dish would be an excellent choice, and thanks for the offer, Rich. Fortunately I have a vacuum forming machine that would give me millimeter precise covers without any cutting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 9:39 AM, roboz said:

What you could do is use a tin head drill out the eyes for those rivets & then 3D print the ear nose & mouth & paint them in a chrome paint & glue them on , Just a thought

but yeah Henk had some serious tools at his disposal especially for metal working 

Love that color he used BTW 

There are also some small-scale, relatively inexpensive kits for electroplating plastic and other non-conductive materials. I have done a bit of research (not enough to give you specific info, I’m afraid), and Caswell seems to be a good source for those kinds of kits. That seems like a good way to get some chrome shine on your 3D printed bits. I really like the look of their Plug and Plate kits, which allow you to brush plate small parts without the need for using a lot of fairly pricey chemicals or setting up a tank, but I’m not sure if they’re suitable for chroming or nickel plating plastic.

https://www.caswellplating.com/

Oh, wait, actually...

https://www.caswellplating.com/nickel-conductive-paint-340gm-aerosol.html

Details

Originally designed as an EMI/RF shield, many hobbiests and small prototype shops are using this paint as a conductive coating on 3D printed objects.

After spraying and sanding smooth, non conductive objects can be brush plated with our Plug N Plate Flash Copper system, and then with any other finish.

Archived