Buck Rogers Ray Gun

kennetzel

I have always wanted one of these and I finally got one. The Buck Rogers Ray Gun. Cross another one off my bucket list.

BuckRogersRayGun.jpg

I did some research on this gun on line. From what I read, this was made in 1935 and is basically the first ray gun ever made, which they say set the standards for future gun designs. Nice to own such a prestigious piece.

Just to set the record straight, the black "Buck" pistol XZ-31 was the first in 1934. Your XZ-38. a year later.

post-351-1222182962.jpg

In the Buck Rogers comic strip, the XZ-31 was a rocket pistol,  not a ray gun.  So technically, the Buck Rogers Disintegrator was the first ray gun.

David. 

Krel, so by your logic the name defines whether it's a ray gun. So now a large % of "ray guns" in our database are something else.  I don't think so! What's the difference between rocket and disintegrator, they're both described as pistols.

Actually the name does define if it is, or is not a ray gun.  But more so, the function and projectile defines whether or not it is a ray gun.  A rocket gun fires a solid projectile, the rocket.  A ray gun fires a beam of energy, the ray.  The name is just a description delineating it's characteristics and function of the weapon.  But they are both SF weapons and so belong here.

David.

On 6/12/2018 at 7:52 AM, Andyman said:

I think you can safely say that "ray gun" has become the default generic name of any space weapon.

I perfectly fine with that, although it should be noted that the term "space gun" has become popular over the years, like the title of the forum we're in.

David.

Space guns we know what that term means but if taken literally it has to be used in space and not on any planet to be a space gun. Its the same thing with the term ray gun. Could be more exacting and use something like non traditional, non real world gun.  Not many do that, but if its an exotic cool toy gun rather its spacey themed or not a certain type of person will have interest in it but have almost none in yet another toy colt revolver or what not.

Regardless of the name; Ray gun, Space gun, Blaster, Disintegrator...once you pull the trigger, the result is pretty much the same.

Archived