Can a $92 dollar 3d printer Work ?

robothut

So I saw a CTC A8 3d printer kit for sale for $92.40. I thought how can they do that. It has a heated bed and standard build size 200mm by 200mm by 180. So I thought it might give me $92 bucks of enjoyment to build it and do a you tube about it. 

Here is shot of the test prints I did on it. The cat and the owl are files that come on its SD card the moon city at 50% scale I sliced as I know what that should look like. Since all the bearings and rods have a ton of play on this machine there is Z wobble going on. But it does print and I have seen worse prints. Just a days fun and distraction.

DSC04173.jpg

DSC04172.jpg

The CTC printer kit is down to $75 dollars right now. So just had to kit bash one into a linear rail type printer. Still crap, but so much fun and nothing to lose.

Finally got around to watching this one. Still waiting for you to build a printer that prints another printer, John.

John, you've got the 3D bug real bad. You're fast becoming one of the go-to guys on Youtube. 

Andy, the first 3D printers were exactly what you describe, machines capable of reproducing themselves. You would buy a "Rep-Rap" printer then print a set of components for someone else to build a printer. 

Andy there are files on thing-I-verse to 3d print a complete printer, some were displayed at the last 3d printer maker fair, you can find vids on you tube. The quality is not great sort of like the $75 buck printer I just played with, but the fun factor is there for sure. I really want to build a Core XZ printer but not a crappy one a real good one. I think a kit will probably give me the best results for the money so I keep looking and one day there will be a kit that has all the features that I am looking for at a prince that I can afford. Here is a picture of the dragon test print on the $75 buck printer kit that I modded to slide rails.

DSC04181.jpg

Archived