Folding Robby

Joe K.

I printed a bunch of them in 4 different sizes a few weeks ago, covered in one of my you tube videos. I printed in red to match the box artwork of the mechanized robot. Also I am playing with the idea of making a insert part that would make the robot walk, but so many things going on not sure when I can get to that.

DSC04076.jpg

Yes they send you a STL for the dome. I will test print one in Pollysmooth clear once the filament gets here and vapper smooth it to see how it looks.

Here is mid sized one with a 3d printed dome. Its not that 3d filament is not clear its that the layers of plastic laying on top of each other make it not clear or diffused. There are small gaps around parts of a layer of plastic and even if the part you print is say only 1mm thick if your printing at 0.2 layer height that means there will be 5 layers or rows of plastic to make that 1mm thick . So the best clear printed parts are ones that can be very thin or can be printed in a very thick layer like 0.5 or more. A thermal formed dome would be the way to go if you need it to be clear, but then you have the work of cutting out the part you formed in order for it to fit the project. The 3d printed part will fit perfectly, but will not be as clear. Now the dome in these pictures is clear than it looks in the picture, the yellow plastic inside the dome are does not help the picture.

DSC04110.jpg

DSC04107.jpg

Archived