ZOROME 21MM392

Automaton

I had a 3D printed model made of a robot from a bunch of stories written that started in 1931. The character Professor Jameson has himself frozen in a ship and launched into space by his nephew once he dies and hundreds of millions of years later after humanity has died off, the Earth too and the sun quite shortly. He is revived by these being called Zorome that are just brains inside a many eyed leg and armed body. They are immortal and spend their time exploring other planets and learning about them

3D Model.jpg

5a67b6009d.jpg

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

Zorome 1 The Jameson Satellite July 1931 2.jpg

5 Amazing_stories_ April 1938.jpg

5 minutes ago, robothut said:

Man that looks really small. Did they resin print it on a SLA or DLP printer ? New bot for me.

Its about the size of a five cent coin , I don't know what printer they used but its silver sandblasted. I might get one done on a larger scale as the STL files made by the 3D designer were very detailed and they made a few changes for it to be printable whenever i materialse who printed said it wasn't suitable. Each of the ones in the pictures are earlier versions being changed slightly more and more . 

3D Model.jpg

IMG_1064.JPG

Yes I could see that the CAD file picture was not printable as designed and that the printed part was different. That small it is a resin printed part. The price for resin printers "SLA and DLP" has come down. There are hobby units "in the $500.00 range" that print 10 times higher resolution than the best FDM "filament" type printers. But the resin is still expensive and messy and smells bad. Dental and jewellery makes use them do to the high detail you can get in small parts. I have been thinking about getting one as the resins are all translucent, so that means you can print high detailed translucent parts like you find on Space toys. But so far the smell has stopped me. If I had one I could only use it in the summer, out in the shop for ventilation reasons. The wife would never let me use one in the house .

• 1 year later...