Devil Girl from Mars

Brian..

One of the campest of those wonderful 1950s sci-fi B movies is "Devil Girl from Mars". For me part of its appeal is the Scottish setting. The other attraction (apart from the leather clad dominatrix villain, gents) is the huge robot. I'm sure it influenced one of the English lead figure robots known as the Suitcase Robot.

In truth it's a refrigerator with horses hooves; a perfect complement to the water heater Republic Robot. What's not to love? I have been working on it on and off for ages. I started it last spring but ran into all sorts of problems with those weird hooves. The little feet and the big body don't make for an easy balance. I sold Paul my first working prototype and really should have hung on to it a bit longer, because I couldn't get the production model to balance again. Buggeration. Well, one complete redesign later and it walks lovely.

Here's the finished piece. There's a light in the head, but there's not one in that camera eye in the chest. It's crying out for a light effect there but that would not be authentic. The arms swing limply, just like they do in the movie.

I regret that seam across the chest, but you have to get inside it somehow to get the motor installed, and I couldn't avoid it.

I'll post a video shortly.

devil12.jpgdevil1.jpg

Wonderful work Brian, you have done a smashing job on this B Movie Robot!

Brian or Ranger, how tall is this Robot?

Thank you Ranger for answering my question :thumbs:

Hmm, do I want a 24 inch version? I would love to have one,

but I am now rapidly running out of room and size does matter!

Archived