Zathura robot

robothut

So I thought it would be fun to make a Zathura type robot. As it turned out the micro servos I used are under powered for the size of the robot,but since the looks were more important to me than function "never thought I would say those words" I decided to go with it. Before I go in to the build details here is a link for the robot in action.

In much the same way I did the Walking Talking Joel robot project before I used the same basic design here. I wanted the small hip section so had to use the micro servos. They only produce about 21 oz of torque and for comaprision a cheep standard size servo has 64 oz of torque, a expencive standard size servo will have 125 oz of torque ! Oh well I was after a look.Starting with the the foot design to hold 2 AA batteries in each foot and the anke servo. The ratchet wheels and ratchet arms and O rings for wheel grip.

DSC03840.jpg

DSC03841.jpg

DSC03842.jpg

Next I designed the legs. They have to connect to the ankle servo's and hip servo's and be able to pass the servo wires and battery power wires up to the hip section.

DSC03845.jpg

DSC03846.jpg

DSC03847.jpg

The arms were designed as on part but since I do not like using supports I decided to cut them up so the parts could print with out supports. It is so much faster to glue things back together . the arms will be held on to the shoulder servo's with magnets as I normally do. The shoulder servo's have mounting plates and one has a mount for the POLOLU controller as well.

DSC03853.jpg

DSC03853.jpg

DSC03855.jpg

DSC03856.jpg

DSC03857.jpg

The leg is secured to the ankle with glue but the servo must be centered first with a digital servo tester and a square used to adjust to vertically. You can see the waist servo horn mount and servo mount plate with the wires passing threw.

DSC03851.jpg

DSC03858.jpg

DSC03859.jpg

DSC03860.jpg

view of the foot bottom with batteries installed. The magnetic arm system let me mount the Pololu so that the USB port can be hidden by the arm yet easy to get too. I designed a simple stand to hold the robot upright when not powered ON. Standard RC servos do not lock there position when powered down so the robot would not stand well on its own when on display.

DSC03863.jpg

DSC03862.jpg

DSC03864.jpg

DSC03870.jpg

Archived