Folley's spaceships

ANZinSpace

Damn, for some reason it looks like I erased all my text when I uploaded this from my phone.

So to start again. Folley's was an Australian company which was making authorised copies of Lego bricks in the 70s. This particular set was used and the only pieces of the box left were those about how to build the spaceships. I managed to build them from either the instructions or from the cut image, in the case of the space base.

I had a number of pieces left over which I made into a cargo shuttle and a space truck. My designs - very chunky.

The bricks themselves are made of soft plastic except for the transparent ones. 

Doing a bit of research it turns out Folley's Bricks were patented in Australia but when they went to renew the patent Lego challenged it and won.

This is from the MAAS site

The similarity between Folley’s Bricks and Lego did not go unnoticed. When Alex Folley, owner of ‘Folley’s Bricks’, attempted to re-patent his bricks in the 1980s, he was openly challenged by the Lego Group. The case ‘Interlego AG (The Lego Group) vs. Alex Folley (Vic) Pty Ltd’ occurred in 1987 in England and resulted in a successful outcome for the Lego Group. Unfortunately for Alex Folley, this meant that his company was unable to renew its patent and therefore unable to continue manufacturing Folley’s Bricks. 

Archived