X-3 Masudaya Flying Saucer

astrogonza

yes I agree, Saucer fleets look better than one single Saucer!

Hard to find Saucer in any condition, the arrangement of the color lights seems to be the only difference.

It took me decades to find one in good condition. The unusual metallic  color print seems to be damaged usually on this toy. 

A79ABEF6-0981-4A12-A12A-6A45689384E3.jpeg

That's what we call a "home invasion of the flying saucers", Gernot!:biggrin:

I try not to read too many thread about flying saucers as i try to avoid being hit by the virus.

Here some shots of the sample  I got some years ago- thanks to Marco!

Normally i do not like the plastic Babyface Heads of some saucers- but these two pilots look different - more serious.

Look at that shiny bottom surface- very unique among all saucers in my collection.

As far as remember- the version on the box with the big yellow stripe was only pictured in a sales catalog and never surfaced in real.

AF820EF6-5E7F-4CE6-AEC8-B8B1EF332C4E.jpeg

8321FDEC-C805-4848-9140-A0334A22F5EE.jpeg

A4FAA732-2309-47EE-A3A6-6D1792879E2D.jpeg

D755F84D-AD11-4972-81BA-19B54C39E4FA.jpeg

Nice set Astrogonza. I think there is something about the formula of that metallic litho that makes it more likely to perish over time. There are other toys with metallic litho that becomes splotchy in the same way but I can't think of them at the moment. It's definitely a common problem with this toy even when properly cared for. I like the checkerboard pattern behind the pilots as well.

I love the saucers hanging on the wall! I think I'll try that display style too. 

I wonder if the Mrs will care if i paint the wall black or midnight blue? 

as to babyface heads, I too do not care for them. It really makes no sense. Babies cant pilot space ships.

your two pilots though probably let some young 8 year old boy imagine himself as the pilot as he launched his X-3 over the roof or down the stairs.

hmmm.....  You said these were hard to find, did you?  :biggrin:

thanks for sharing

• 6 years later...

I have found this thread in Robot Talk but nothing seems to be listed in the Timeline, any ideas on year?

Its on page 201 in the Modern Toys book. William Gallagher dated it 1973-1974.

But we see a slightly different version pictured.

X3 Gallagher.JPG