Space Explorer Yonezawa - The last repair of 2017 - Happy New Year!

Martian Gil

Happy New Year!

This week, I got two old classics - the Blue Rosko and a fellow in need of some work.

He was well loved (or hated?) In his day... either way, he needs some tender loving repair.

I was able to get him apart with tabs intact.   

Now, to see if I can fix his broken spring... :pigsfly:    ???

20171231_125429.jpg

20171231_125409.jpg

Is that a Winky? I wonder if you could get a spring from a reproduction, though that would be a bit of a shame in itself. I wonder if you should electrify it instead?

I really hope you can get this guy restored, MG. I tried repairing just one wind-up a ways back and gave up. Way too frustrating for me, I'd rather work on battery-ops.

My last fixer upper of the year - David pretty much had it right, cousin of the Winky - but I seem to be on a bit of an astronaut kick lately.

This guys internals were pretty rough.   

His noggin had taken a blow at some time - it left him with a bit of a dent.   

Whether the blow had hit him from the top, or if he'd been dropped, the force had carried through and bent his leg straps a bit & broke of the little mechanism that operates his chest lever.

If I were to speculate, I'd say that the spring broke after he got dinged up - due to everything being jammed up inside.

He's rough - his guts were pretty rusted.    I gave him a pretty thorough cleaning without using any serious rust treatments.

I was able to fix his spring without taking the entire motor / gearing housing apart.   

This was the 3rd or 4th broken spring that I've been able to repair.      The bottom of the gear housing has a little machined slot in it that the spring locks into.  

I used a dremel to cut that slot a bit longer, then I pulled the spring through it and locked it up with a small pair of vice-grips.   

I then heated and quenched the spring a few times and made a funny little twist that did the trick...

I fashioned a little fix for the oxygen meter - his inner corrosion had affected the meter a bit, so it no longer has the full range of motion - but it works better today than it has in quite awhile.   :)

I'll post up a few more pics of this repair before getting wild and crazy ringing in 2018!

Cheers all!

Thanks Racer!  

The last pic shows the odd little twist that locked the spring back.

All of my previous spring repairs involved a break near the gear - where I had to re-bend the spring in the gear / wind up. 

This was a bit odd, but a perfect little fix for this charismatic old fellow.

20171231_144337.jpg

20171231_145546.jpg

20171231_151124.jpg

20171231_152359.jpg

Here is a little clip of the meter lever that that I rigged a fix for.

I never fail to be amazed by these amazing old toys!

Happy 2018!

Right back atcha Maloo!   2018 must be getting old for you already :)

I'm glad you posted a shot of my favorite firebot!   Timely too - I'm looking for info about the finishes...

Yours looks more silver than mine, and this fellow seems to have a crackled finish.    

I'm guessing that mine is the hammer toned finish?   

Does anyone know if the hammer tone was an intentional coating - or if it crackled later in life and these finishes were really accidental defects?

20171231_174238 (1).jpg

Archived