Roboter 700 Revisited

Brian..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger, Target.

The prototype and first finished print are on their way to Ranger for his collection. I also sent him the a wind up version I made by dropping in a motor from a repro. It uses the same geometry as the battery version so it walks fine. I'm not offering the wind up version yet, though, because of the problem of reliably sourcing enough clockwork motors of the correct size and shape, and at a reasonable price.

Having increased the size of the robot by a couple of inches I realised that it's just too tight a fit in the boxes I prefer to use. The box size allows me to double-box them and stay inside the 1 Kg threshold for cheaper postage. So I decided to make the head removable.  Initially I used a detachable plug to link the eyes to the main batteries, then realised I could use a button cell to power the eyes, making the head a self contained unit.  I've sourced the right size flashing red LEDs but, bugger me, they are water clear and have to be stained red to make them look right. The eyes should run for ages on these tiny cheap button cells. They flash at slightly different rates so the effect is similar to the original.

The price is slightly more than my usual price range. It's $195 which includes postage to any country. The print time is much longer than usual because of the way I make them, the eccentric components, moving arms, and the fact that I have to buy a new printer to replace the Dreamer that gave up the ghost. They are printed with high levels of infill to give them added strength and heft. I could cut costs by making parts more hollow but the feel is all wrong.  

How I smuggle the new printer past Mrs Hayes is a problem I have yet to solve.

According to my postal tracking they will arrive today.

Not 1 but 2 roboter robots! 

How amazing is that and at an amazing price too, what could be better!

So, I am eagerly awaiting the sound of the doorbell at the moment and if they do arrive I will post photos later. Great work Brian!

:woohoo:

🍻 

You should be able to easily sneak the new printer in Brian. My missus didn’t know about my getting the Suzuki GSX 1400 until she noticed the road tax payment on the bank statement. It’s handy though that she hardly ever goes into the garage and I had it delivered when I knew she would be out, smart eh! She always catches up with me sooner or later though. A few days ago and out of the blue she said, ‘have you bought another motorbike?’.

”Gulp....🤔,yes dear, I have!”  😳

58 minutes ago, Ranger said:

According to my postal tracking they will arrive today.

On a Sunday :scratchhead:  you must have a pretty good courier service in your part of UK, anyway I'm looking forward to seeing your new arrivals. :biggrin:

Archived