Roboter 700 Revisited

Brian..

I've decided to take a shot at my own version of the Roboter 700 this Christmas.  It will be a pleasure to be able to work on a design that doesn't require fuzzy screenshots captured from second rate YouTube copies of blurry B Movies. On the other hand, it's not original. But it's a lovely robot and I want one on my shelf!!!!

The emphasis will be on keeping the cost down. Currently $1500 will buy Marco's model but that excludes most collectors. This is not intended to be one of his precise copies so to keep it affordable I'm cutting corners.  I'll be happy with something that looks right, something that captures the spirit of Roboter 700. After all, a copy is a copy, it's never going to compete with an original.

Basically I'm working from photos, so the size will not be exact, though the proportions will. It should not need any work on the printed parts because I won't be scanning. It will be battery operated because I already have a design that can be adapted. I also have a stash of economical Chinese motors and battery packs. I'll use LED lights (the horror!) because I've insufficient power for old style ones.

I've already talked to Marco and he's looking forward to see my take on the subject. This will be the fifth copy of this German classic. I know there have been many posts on the build of this piece but my approach will be different.

I just hope it works. :biggrin:

cop.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice Brian, i like this Roboter 700, i don´t know why but the one on the left with that greenish color and mouth and those eyes is super amazing, and the one in the middle looks fantastic :wub: also yes.

Yes, those colours do enhance the robot. The green is by Eagle, the blue is by Robert and Grandpa, the third (smaller silver) is also by Grandpa and the last is Marco's. That's an impressive line-up of Roboters.

I don't know, if these pics are of any interest to you Brian. This is what the original Roboter 700 looks like.

On the right side the first pre-run; on the left side the final pre-run. From what I know, I'm the only

owner of a first pre-run; the other samples (4 or 5 known to exist) look like the one on the left side.

They made some little changes to the final pre-run: The eye cutouts a little bigger, the three knobs

are not movable any more (one piece printing) and show a dial numbering. And finally he gets his "Made in Germany"

written down on the chest. I asked Mr. Liebermann (the mold maker) again; and he confirmed, that the writings

in the mold had been done always at the end of the development process; after all the other changes had been done.

And please let me add this: The bigger eye cut outs had been made for a functional reason - the blinking bulbs are nearly a bit

too long to fit inside the head with the contacts and so on. The original first version (on the right) looks much better to me...

just as he really has lost his typical Roboter 700 shape in the end. But that is maybe only my humble opinion... 

Roboter 700.JPG

Roboter 700b.JPG

Roboter 700c.JPG

Roboter 700d.JPG

Roboter 700e.JPG

Roboter 700f.JPG

Thanks, Dirk. Most appreciated. They both look excellent to me! I can see some details that I'll need to think about. As I say, I'm looking for the feel of this robot rather than an exact copy. I didn't realise that at one stage the knobs moved. It's almost impossible to print that fine molded dial numbering, (though I will give it a shot) so a plain version may be the better choice.

I've ordered some of the extra components that are essential for the look. Half the problem is finding the right name for the bits. "M3 machine slotted cheese head bolts" and "2.5 mm Marklin Plugs".

As usual I'll be starting with the legs. I've learned the hard way that you have to take advantage of ever millimetre of the base to make the foot as stable as possible. There will be two ratcheted wheels, each with two tyres.  Once this chap starts walking I'll give him a body.

My version will be self contained, Robodude. The should be just enough room for 2 AAA batteries in the back.

• Brian.. changed the title to Roboter 700 Revisited

Certainly, if it works!

I've discovered a real issue. I've not been used to making the arms move before, but now it's essential and there isn't much room inside the body. I'm trying to squeeze the battery box into a very restricted space without having it hit the levers that move the arms. In addition I'll need to make clutch mechanisms to prevent the arms breaking if they are restrained in any way. I think I have that bit solved, but I can see why my predecessors went for a battery remote system, or a clockwork motor.

Brian- I am not into collecting 3D robots but would be interested to get that Roboter700 from you- if you manage to create it finally and print enough samples for sale. 

Put me down for one!

Thanks

Its good to see that Dirk and Gernot also seem to like 3D printed Robots... i knew they would come "out of the box" sooner or later hahahahahaha.

Cool Idea Brian and I can not wait to see your version. I went with a wind-up version of the roboter without doing any concession to the dimensions and that was really a tough one... would not recommend that path Brian, dont go with the dark side ;) hehehehe... i think it will be quite a job to get it batt powered with the batts inside the robot.... there is not much room...
and with the little feet of the robot, balance is the keyword here...Try to bring balance to the force :)  May the force be with you and of course I would like to add one to my collection.. will look great with the other roboters :)
you can ship the tobor along with him ...Keep us posted and good luck with " Roboter 704-D :)  "
If you need any help, you know where to find me...

Cheers
Marco

Archived