Sparking: Help! Need Flints!

robert

I have been looking awhile now for a source for the soft sparking flints used in toys. I have checked online, I've checked a dollar stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army, everywhere! No luck. I know others have mentioned cheap chinese sparking toys as a good source, but where the hell are they?? I have about six toys apart now, waiting for flint replacements. Any information would be appreciated. :P

Spacepatroler,

I have tried those lighter flints, but they are too hard. They barely spark, if at all. These toys just use gravity to hold the flint on the wheel, the flint is usually mounted on a small floating metal arm that rides above the abrasive wheel, so it automatically adjusts as the flint wears down.

Cigarette lighter flints require pressure (a spring pushing the flint down on the wheel) to spark properly. The flints used in these toys are much softer and spark easily, but because they are softer they also wear down much faster. Thanks for the help though.

Believe it or not ..

but this was a big problem to find a flintstone - it must be soft - not hard but not to soft

and it must hold for years -

big problemsiky -

how many tons do you need - Robert ?

I thought you might say that volker! lol Did you buy your flints from China? I did find this Chinese company on line that does custom flints for toys, but my assumption is that they only deal in extremely large volumes.

Tons o' Flint

Anyone want to go in for a few hundred thousand flints?

But volker, if you are offering, I only need 6 flints at the moment, but would love to have more on hand. If so, email me at rrwhit10 (at) msn.com and we can deal... :P

Robert,

I've gotten some cheap Chinese pinwheel sparkers

from Wal-Mart, but they don't seem to work that good

either, unless your wheel spins about 5,000 rpm...

I don't need a few thousand, but if you get some,

(from Volker or otherwise), I'm in for a few dozen...

Robert -

Have you tried stealing a flint from the Basic Fun RAYGUN?

You can find them cheap at toy stores, gift shops and even online.

Give THAT a shot!

Good luck.

post-2-1106120963.jpg

:) Thanks for the great sources for flints, everyone. I was using flints from cheap lighters, with success unless the wheel is worn out. The robot sparks when the mounted flint bounces up and down on the wheel on all of the robots that I have worked on, not just laying there and having the wheel turn against it. But, that's just the four or five that I've seen. I will try to pick up some of the cheap guns. -Larry 7

I just ordered "about a hundred" of those "sparking guns" from M&J Variety (along with a couple other items I'll be offering in the Museum's gift shop). If anyone else is interested in a DIY flint repair and would like some of these to cannibalize ($1.00 each + postage) email me at: robotoys@earthlink.net

Mike at M&J's thought he had "about 100" left in stock, so these will be sent out on a 'first come/first served' basis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're only interested in the flint (or "flint arm assembly") maybe I can take the guns apart and just send them. It's bound to save on postage!

Have you tried the flints used for lighting propane torches? You can get them at any hardware store, a couple of bucks for a dozen.

Have you tried the flints used for lighting propane torches? You can get them at any hardware store, a couple of bucks for a dozen.

Yup,

but diameter is way too big. but they might do in a pinch with a little carving..

• Brian.. changed the title to Sparking: Help! Need Flints!

Archived