Doctor Satan's Robot

Brian..

They don't come more basic than Doctor Satan's Robot.  Its almost too simple: a cylinder on legs. That is, until you begin to look more closely. The robot has a long pedigree and there are at least five cinema  versions.

I started this back in March. The first version was just too large and too fiddly to assemble. I decided to reduce its size and to improve the build. The CR-10 printer is producing astonishing quality, though you pay a price in speed. I added a light in the chest and an inner red glow to put some life into the innards. A future improvement will be the provision of proper bendy arms, Matt Mason style.  The other versions will follow, requiring minor alterations. The Undersea Robot version looks like fun.

I've also included the Space Axe,  :biggrin: an authentic weapon from one of the Republic serials.

satan .JPGsatan 2.JPGsatan.jpg

a3c851e42efb909acd41ca29def425c1--satan-lobbies.jpg

Undersea version, long before the Deep Sea Diver robot:

mechanicalmen.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• roboz

• Ranger

• Tinplate6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The version of the robot that made it onto the poster differs dramatically. It's such a comical big-eyed, bullet head. The audience must have been puzzled.

It's one I'm looking forward to trying.

sat.jpgsat2.jpg

Nice work.

3D printing is a complex mixture of art, skill and magic to me.

Andy's water heater comment has me thinking of a new line of water heater jackets.

probably wont get rich off of them.

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 12.18.21 PM.jpg

These robots are just great. A wonderful job. The robot has a beautiful steady walking action and the 2 lights just make it  a treat for the eyes.  Check out all of those rivets!!

Thanks Brian! 👍🤖😃

8BA0B34A-78FB-4B2C-AAD6-1E542F1B6A88.jpeg

AC0359C7-BB70-4BCC-81B9-63EB3D9C0BAC.jpeg

2D9606DD-FE94-4218-8532-F30A5C23FD78.jpeg

B9C6CE77-9FBF-4107-8BBD-415031D5AD40.jpeg

5A5F16AE-6266-4BCA-929B-C1F1D29F8695.jpeg

8006EF79-6BA3-4887-B45D-5B737BE61E40.jpeg

Noted, Brady. Though the backlog of orders is getting rather long. :biggrin:

This has proven to be one of those pleasant builds. It fits together lovely, the wiring is accessible, and the walking action needs no adjustment - he's stable first time every time. The feet have two sets of ratchets, so both wheels grip the floor. This provides more friction when the opposite moves and gives a more positive walk, you lose less forward movement to a sliding foot.  I'll put this on all future builds when space allows. I still power them with two AAA batteries. It makes for a very slow walk, but that's how they all seem to go in the B movies. Remember, no matter how fast you run you can't escape from a slow moving robot. After the obligatory stumble and shriek, he has you.

I've just been looking at footage from The Undersea Kingdom, where a version of the Doctor Satan robot runs around with a Tommy gun. Great stuff.

I'd like a change from the usual silver paint job so I noticed that this is one jazzy robot with zig-zag stripes. That got me wondering about the real colour of these black and white B movies. I ran a still through one of those programs that claim they can restore the original colours by analysing the shades of grey. Here's the result - the before and after.

Untitled-1.jpg68e2a1dfe237555c4ea5db8c7dd2cf7b_5bba1c9f-b752-458d-995b-a71da495e0cb.jpg

I like that orange palette. I thought green might be more fitting, with its undersea feel.  PapaSan tried a green version (with the comic bullet head)  a few years ago and it looks interesting.

9d18bb7dcac06e717fdda35d83bfe956.jpg