Storage: Don't Get Mad, Get Glad!

H.C.

Ok, I replaced all the clear plastic bags encasing my robot's and their original boxes with Glad non poly bags. What do you guys think? Right off the Glad website and I quote...

Do GLAD® Trash Bags contain plasticizers?

All GLAD® Trash Bags (Drawstring, Handle-Tie®, Quick-Tie® and Sure Tie™) are made from 100% polyethylene. No GLAD® Trash Bags contain plasticizers.

I went with Glad because I do not want any chemical seepage and/or reactions. I have my collection stored in dark, dry closets in these bags. Comments?

I did the search but I'm still concerned. :unsure:

Thanks!

HeY H.C.

I WouLD uSe CLeaR CeLLoPHaNe .

YoU CaN GeT THiS MosTLy DuRiNG X-MaS for WRaPPiNG PaPeR .

CoMes in RoLLs LiKe STaNDaRD WRaPPiNG PaPeR .

DoEs NoT CoNTaiN PLaSTiC .

ALSo CoMes in CLeaRiSH CoLoRs .

BuT SoMe of THe HaLLMaRK SToRes or OTHeR HiGH EnD CarD SToRes MaY CaRRy it DuRInG THe WHoLe YeaR .

SeAL iT with CLeaR SCoTCH TaPe .

RoBoTs-RuLe!!!

B)

H.C. I understand your concerns about plasticizers and other chemical reactions/seepages but even in a dry dark closet I would even worry about sweating in the bags. I'm not 100% certain how museums store artefacts but don't they allow air circulation?

Another question Alphadromers do Silica Gel bags work? My small collection is outnumbered by these bags which I obtain FOC from shoe shops.

HW-K

I'm not 100% certain how museums store artefacts but don't they allow air circulation?

Having been given a tour of the storage wearhouse of Southbey's in lower Manhattan, I can tell you that they have everything out on plain industrial metal shelving. No wrapping at all.

Every sort of thing you could imagine including robots & boxes (this was when they were selling off the rest of the Griff estate on-line) was all just sitting right out in the open.

Now these were all items being auctioned off within that year but I also asked about long term storage and was told it is the same procedure. All rooms are temperature and humiditity controlled with plain steel shelves and that nothing is ever covered.

I also remember seeing a documentary on the American Museum of Natural History and remember seeing those store rooms set up the same way.

Yes robothunter that is my understanding also. I know that iron age artifacts are stored in a similar way.

Safe storage is a good topic because it affects us all.

HW-K

I'd look at museum storage rather than auction houses. As a student I had a temporary warehouse job at regional office one of the best known companies and the last thing on our mind was long term preservation.

Of course the main offenders were the public. During the pre-auction viewing the wear and tear on valuable items was horrendous.

Each one of us is free to do with their robots as they see fit, that's an indisputable fact. But, I have to ask where is the joy of owning them packed away in some dark closet? My collection doesn't contain a Machine Man or TV Robot, if it did I would probably have them in the gun safe, all are out to see, that is my reason for owning them. If they should "degrade" a little in short time i'm on this earth, well - so be it - we all do! I agree 100% on the humidity issue - damp wet air will ruin anything. Mold, rust, etc. all thrive on it. <_<

I found this article about paper preservation. Of course it's not applicable to tin but I bet that there's a connection.

"Contrary to popular belief, neither polyester film, nor polyethylene or any other plastic film is in itself conducive to the longevity of paper - except from a short-term perspective. The benefit from "encapsualtion" between two sheets of a clear plastic film, derives largely from the protection that this practice provides from potential injury to the object from physical handling. Encapsulation may also protect objects from water damage in the unlikely event of a water sprinkler going off in a fire situation.

Encapsulation by itself can be actually harmful because it does not let the acids formed within paper diffuse away, but instead enhances their accumulation. In laboratory experiments carried out under elevated temperature and relative humidity conditions, under which these acids should diffuse more easily, even test papers placed inside L-sealed polyester envelopes (sealed along only two of the four edges) tended to age at a rate comparable to that obsrved for test papers aged within fully sealed envelopes. On the other hand, a backing of an alkaline matboard within a polyester film envelope or capsule, or inside a picture frame, has been shown to provide a more beneficial environment. The difference in the latter approach is that the alkaline backing can act as a sponge to soak up acids.

In terms of using dessicants, we do not recommend them for long term use or storage, mainly because they would have to be constantly changed, once they have absorbed the moisture and treated to remove the moisture before they can be returned to the storage area to again become saturated with moisture and then again be treated to remove the moisture. They work great for short term solutions such as exhbition cases, etc. I would recommend the use of a dehumidifier in the room where the objects will be stored. Even a small dehumidifier will in the long term cost less then the amount of dessicants needed to maintain good environmental conditions."

So keep the boxes dark, cool and dry. In England I can guarantee the dark and cool, but the dry is a bugger.

I'm in Rochdale Brian and can concur totally. I wrap up stock for boot fairs  in tissue paper or newspaper but I wouldn't even think about using plastic bags for this.

• Brian.. changed the title to Storage: Don't Get Mad, Get Glad!

Archived