Station astrale - France - Maker?

6Stelab9

This morning, in a toy fair in my town I bought this toy named Station astrale, which I think was made in the 50'S in France. It is made with cardboard, wood and a mirror. The rockets are made of plastic.

The principle is quite easy and a bit desappointing but it probably entertained childs from the 50's: you look throught the holes on one side, pull the wood stick so it releases the rocket, which falls down to the ground and as the mirror reflects the fall so you can briefly imagine that it's a take off to Earth from an orbital station .

Anyway, it's a very nice toy with great art which will perfectly fit with my SFA saucer and rocket from the same period. And I'm always very happy to discover an old french space related toy.

If someone have more informations about it, I would be very grateful

IMG_1122.JPGIMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1115.JPGIMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1120.JPGIMG_1119.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

The piece is from the French version of the game "Rockets Away: Sensational Space Travel Game" -  (1952) by AMSCO.

The game has some known variations: the original USA edition, an Italian ("Eroi del Futuro: Sensazionale viaggio tra i pianeti" ‐ (1953)), a French (name unknown) and a Spanish ones ("J-15: Estacion Astral de Aeronaves" - (1956)).

Here is the BoardGameGeek link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26045/rockets-away-sensational-space-travel-game/versions

Cheers

Ervino

Thanks for those precious informations Ervino. Now I understand why the game was a bit disappointing as it's just a part of a spacey dart gun. And thank you for the link. It's funny because one of the photo mixes an italian box "Eroi del Futuro" with a french version of the space station. Well, Now I have to investigate on this french version, find its name and find an uncomplete box to fit with my station astrale and my rockets. The game illustrations are wonderful.

AAMOF, the image of the "mixed" box is one of my personal set!  :biggrin:  

I suppose (but don't have proofs as now) that the maker of the French and of the Italian versions of the game coud have been the same, i.e. "EG - Editrice Giochi", one of the most famous games producer in Italy, now and then. EG in the same years produced both an Italian and a French version of a game "inspired" by the Disney movie version of "20.000 Leagues Under the Sea":   https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/193534/20000-leghe-sotto-i-mari/versions (using, BTW, the CoMa 1" Pattuglia Marziana spacemen figures as deep-sea divers).

Anyway, here are a couple of images: one for the AMSCO version game "board" and one of the Italian TM application from EG for the Italian name of the game:

FullSizeRender.jpg

eroi futuro.jpg

I have found that the french version of the game used the original name "rockets away" and was published by Capiepa a french game company (which will release in 1978 the french Star Wars board game version). I don't think that both the italian  and the french version were produced by the same maker as it 's marked made in France on the station astrale and made in italy on the rockets cardboard. I suppose both the french and the italian  compagnies produced their own version of the game from the original game licence.

Ad from a 1955  French toy catalog   

rockets away capiepa.jpg

From the Nouvelles Galeries 1954 christmas catalog

Rocket away + mobilphone.jpg

Thanks for the info on the French version!  :hail:   :biggrin:

Now I must try to understand why the copy I have is a composite of the Italian and French editions... :scratchhead:  

20.000 Leagues Under the Sea

EG - Editrice Giochi

11 hours ago, ervino said:

Thanks for the info on the French version!  :hail:   :biggrin:

Now I must try to understand why the copy I have is a composite of the Italian and French editions... :scratchhead:  

You have done a big part of the job, Ervino.:cheers:

Here is a picture of the french uncomplete game from an old vectis auction

rockets away capiepa 2.jpg

There is something strange about your copy,  the red cardboard which hold the rockets seems to be written in French (or am I mistaken?) May be you're right and there was an actual link between EG - Editrice Giochi and Capiepa (which apparently published the french version of  the  20.000 Leagues Under the Sea game).

It's seems that toy makers around the world had many links between them, buying or exchanging licences and mold.

The spanish version is quite nice either (especially the launching station) but I prefer the design of the amsco version .

You are right: my copy of the game has both the rockets-holder and the rocket-laucher marked "Made in Italy" but have French names for the items, so I can suppose that the two companies, EG and Capiepa had at least some kind of collaboration back then (here is another non-space game produced in the '50 both by EG and Capiepa: "Il Giro del Mondo in Vespa" -   https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33878/tour-du-monde-en-vespa/versions ).

Lets us keep in mind that we are speaking of games produced in Europe in the early '50, so not so many years after the WWII. This considered IMO it is possible that both the companies had, e.g., their stuff printed and produced in the same factory, with (somewhat mixed up...) customized printing targeted to their respective national market.

E.

Archived