Screen robot had rough trip - simple repair?

Mick_B

My Metal House Screen Robot arrived yesterday (Thanks Don!).

I opened him up to find he suffered some whiplash on his trip inland.

0914172049.jpg

so as far as I can tell this should be a simple process of straitening the tabs under his head to reattach to top plate.

the top plate is held on with 4 more (three, one is folded under) that need to be straitened so head can be properly re-attached to the top plate.

then top plate back in place.

Is there anything I should be aware of or are there any suggestions to make sure all goes well?

0915170749.jpg0915170749a.jpg

I would think new tin should be more forgiving that the old, but thought I'd ask first.

You got it. Simple fix and being new tin you should be fine for bending the metal to repair. I would suggest that when you put the head back on that you bend the 4 head tabs outward and not inward like they appear to be in the picture. A outward bend will keep the head from coming off so easy, or if you want to get old school on it, twist the tabs instead of bending them.

Man! Sorry to hear Mick! Was there any damage to the package? I sent that bot swimming in peanuts. I've been out of town since Thursday so I didn't see this thread. Please message me if not happy.

Just catching this up.

He was well packed in bubble wrap and peanuts, but the post man was just too much.

Looks like maybe just two tabs were all that were holding his head in place. 

One body tab still broke off on me.  it had been crimped over and creased, the moment i started to lift on it, off it came.

(I know this maybe a bad thing to admit, but after having him back together, i took a small dab of model glue and stuck the tab in place. It was either that or taped inside battery door.)

Other than that, all went back together nicely.  (head tabs bent outward, as suggested - thanks!)

0925170734a.jpg

Here he is all back together with his other Metal House friends (and a lurking PapaSan).

Daughter  *Altaira has a blue/red Metal House Space Doom which a couple of the tabs were not folded enough on the front panel, I guess sometimes they get through the quality check that way.   Colourful shelf!

Archived